1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hand held control

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by firelwn82, Nov 2, 2007.

1. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Western has them and Fisher has them also for there Wide out or what the hell ever they call them. Why cant they make one for the white guy? :dizzy: Next.... Would it be possible to pick up a western and change the plug end and use it? Anyone want to attack this question??? OH YeAHH LET IT SNOW BABYpayup

2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

What you don't like the blizzard touch pad or " the box"? Before the blizzard I plowed with a western and thought the only way to plow was with a hand held controller. Now when I have to use my brothers truck I can't stand having that thing in my hand!!! Not to mention I think that the raise and lower functions are backwards. You could probably hook up a new style western. I wouldn't want to spend a couple hundred bucks and then have to take it apart. Somone is probably working on it already. The guys here were hooking up to their power window/ mirror controls so anything can be done. Lets have a good season!!!!

3. firelwn82

Yeah copy that Magna. But I hate having that huge box on my seat, looks gawdy as hell and the dog likes sitting there. :realmad: Damn dog, lol That and its not all that comfortable. I'm sure its in the works myself but I hope they step it up a bit. Its only been 4-5 years since western started making that thing. :dizzy:

4. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

a guy I plow with took apart his big A blizzard joystick and fabricated a very sleek controller that slips right into his cup holders spot in his chevy truck. Looks very nice.

Basically took a piece of black plexi glass type stuff and mounted the joystick and buttons to that. The plexiglass piece fits into the cup holder spot perfect.

I will try and get a picture sometime if I remember when i see him.

EDIT:

Forgot the whole purpose of why I was writing. Yes, I too would love to have a hand help controller. I think the western controllers use just slightly different wiring, but I dont know for sure. Remember reading somewhere that the contols for the wideout are different from a real blizzard in that you dont have a seperate extend a retract button, but you have to extend all the way before you can retract a wing. I tried to watch the vids on their site, but couldnt find the answers.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  5. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

things are changing

Here is the story (as I know it) from Blizzard. First off, I believe them, as they are not just the child of the parent, that will be kicked out soon. Douglas Dynamics (Fisher and Western) bought Blizzard for the technology, patents and engineers on the winged products. I have been told that next year Western and Fisher will have the 810 plow in their colors too. Western is showing a plow called the "Wide Out" on their website, which is a lighter duty 810, but design-wise, a little different too (better / worse - I have no idea). They don't have specs on their site to compare, but essentially - the exact same thing. I guarantee you will see designs end up all the same in a few years, but they have reserved a few key things for the Blizzard name. 1 is the Speedwing - For the next number of years, it will be Blizzard only. 2 is the taper top edge of Blizzard straight plows. Design-wise they had announce that the straight blades were going to be the same as Western, and the Engineers said no. The taper top in the center is much better for airflow into the grill and a signature of Blizzard, so they will keep it like it is. The pumps / motors / controls / wiring I guarantee will change to something closer to the Western and Fisher (Production will be cheaper, and the 08 Fords are changing their trucks wiring designs, so changes will have to be made anyway to all brands - and the will not design and build 3 different harnesses, they will make 1). The undercarriages will be changing to a design that keeps the lightbar with the plow. This is an area where I see many changes over the next few years with the Blizzard line.

Bottom line - There are many changes coming down the line for all 3 manufacturers and I feel they will all end up very similar asthetically and mechanically. For some time to come, the straights and the Speedwings will be unique to Blizzard and thats where they will push their business. The 810 is still our most popular plow and I am sure it will continue to be. The only downside coming is that the new undercarriages starting next year will be different - meaning that if you bought a new plow next year, the plows you have will not fit on both trucks, it will only fit the truck with the new U/C and vice-a-versa. The only way Douglas Dynamics would folds is if they were bought out by another company. They have been in it too long to have the likes of buying a smaller company like Blizzard hurt their business in my opinion, but I have seen stranger things.

6. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Ok I know that I have read this before (word for word in another thread) but I decided to read again. Is it safe to assume that your saying a hand held controller might show up when DD. is done transforming their line up? At that point it won't matter anyways because it won't work with current wirning, Correct? I guess we are back where we started!!!!

7. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

If you would have read the Blizzard discussion, you would have seen them say that they are testing a new handheld remote with the newly designed 760. Expect to see some upgrades next year.

8. firelwn82

I don't want to wait until next year. I want it now :D Yeah I'm a little impatient. Well things sound good but who knows what will happen down the road.

9. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

I'd be very interested in seeing that setup...

10. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

i just saw him the other day and forgot to take the pictures, maybe next time.

11. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I know that this is an older thread. I am looking at a new 860SW and decided to do some reading. The dealer told me next year Blizzards will have the light tower come off with the plow. He was unaware of any other changes. This thread caught my attention as I thought it would be nice to have a handheld controller. Has anyone heard anymore on this subject? Or has anyone adapted one to work?

12. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I purchased a pedestal mount and screwed it to the floor and mounted my box to it. Its out of the way for the dog and with the center console down its at the perfect height. I also have my sander control attached to it and added one piece of flat stock to the underside of the dash to sturdy it up.

13. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Blizzard is not going anywhere. Get over it they are here to stay. As for the controller. they have a prototype but are not going to start selling it until at least next season. It is just like the western just without scoop and full retract buttons. The blizzard pump can not handle both wings at once. No you can not use the western/fisher controllers because of the isolation module set up. As for the blades another prottype is out, possibly this coming season, the lights will be mounted on the A-frame and the plows will be two isolation modules, no more crappy blizzard plugs and wiring. One under the hood and one on the pump with western plugs. No nighthawks for awhile though. Blizzard said they need to sell out of the 10,000 plus lights they have now but BUT the light bar mount is going to be just like the western, flat bar with two holes drilled in it for a quick conversion to nighthawks on your own.

Ken

14. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

So if next year the light tower is attached to the plow frame, are they going to have it pre drilled as you say next year also? How hard is it to change the lights?

15. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Yes it will already be predrilled with 2 holes per light. To change them over yourself: open the night hawks and purchase two light harness replacement kits (plug to light) rewire the new nighthawks with the oem blizzard harness, close the nighthawk up, mount it and plug it in. Just make sure you wire it up with the right wires to match the vehicle.

Ken