1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hand controller shutting off

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Prof Touch L&L, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

Periodically my controller will shut off. The most annoying time is when I am about to attack a pile and hit the button and nothing. Is this a problem anyone else has had? I can "make it" do it sometimes by shaking or tapping it on my leg/knee. I would surmise a loose wire inside. Possibly. Any info would help. If not I'm going to call the dealership and see about get a new controller.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think Western has a sleep mode ,after a few minutes it shuts off.

How did you make out this weekend?:waving:

3. michdeere

michdeere Member

Is this the cab command for the MVP? Lately my MVP hanheld controller has been shutting off during use, probably 5-6 times in an 8 hour shift. Is yours doing it while in use or is it after being idle for 10-20 minutes?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Either the power or ground wire is broken at the bottom where the cord enters the handle, or the internal PC board is dieing... both issues very common on the hand held controllers..

Or the power wire for the control harness has a poor connection where it's connected to the ignition hot source..(usually connected to the under dash fuse panel).

5. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

Not bad, I waited a little too long on Mon morning, but other than that not bad. I'm getting this plowing thing down :D

6. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

No it just a straight blade. I can be using it and it'll just go dead. I think B&B has it right. It has to be a broken wire. Since I can tap it and make it go off.

Michdeere did you go back to your dealer or contact Western? I'd like to have it replaced because if I back out in a street and the thing goes off and I get clipped I'm going to be pissed.

7. michdeere

michdeere Member

Michdeere did you go back to your dealer or contact Western? I'd like to have it replaced because if I back out in a street and the thing goes off and I get clipped I'm going to be pissed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I talked to my dealer (whatever good that did). They say they'll sell me a new one then they ship mine to Western. Western will evaluate it and if it's found to be their problem, then they'll refund the price of the new controller. What kind of "warranty" is that? Had a similar issue on this MVP when it was brand new. Oil was leaking from a bad weld that held the fitting for the filler plug in the reservoir. (I could see daylight through it when I took it off) The dealer still wanted me to buy the new reservoir, wait 3 days for it to arrive, then they'd send mine to Western for "evaluation" to determine if it's a warranty issue. I've always been a Western guy but I guess that's because I've had no problems 'til now.

8. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i had this problem. Dealer re-wired it correctly since they made a poor connection the first time.