1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ham Radio Operators?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Caneplow, Dec 13, 2004.

?

Are you a Licensed Amateur Radio Operator

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Not yet

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. I don't know what this is tell me more

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

I saw that in one thread many people were talking about what they have in their cabs. I saw that many people had Ham Radios. I was just wondering if you are.

I am and in my cab I have a shinny new Yeasu FT-857 that will be installed once I purchase my new truck

2. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

KB9YJL , look it up on QRZ.com :waving:

3. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

For those of you that are not yetters or don't know enough about it.

Check www.arrl.org if you still have questions after that PM me and I'll be more than happy to help.

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I have been since I was 15 and for over 30 years now. Not very active anymore though I used to use a Kenwood 570D(G) HF mobile years ago,(still have radio) I never did in a plow truck. Prior to that I put a lot of years and miles on a TS140, using it a lot on trips. I even help setup and control op some repeaters too in years past. My home station is not setup at this time and has not been for over a year so I have no HF ability at this time.

5. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

KB8WHZ Here. I have a Kenwood TMV7 dual bander in my plow truck. And a VX5R in my other work truck. It never hurt having another means of communication. ..Rob

6. GreatPlains

GreatPlains Junior Member

K0CKH

I currrently have a Yaesu FT-100D (HF/VHF) mounted in my truck. I also have a a couple UHF/VHF rigs on the bench and thought I'd mount one of them as well. that way I dedicate the FT-100 to HF only. I have an ICOM 706 MKII here but not mounted in any of our vehicles at the moment.

Both my teenage sons are hams as well.

7. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Forgive my ignorance here fellas, but I thought all that went out with CB's shortly after the "Smokey and the Bandit" series faded away, and that was the late 80's.
    Now, especially with cell phones everywhere, what's the point? Am I missing something? Is there some advantage to having a ham setup that I'm not aware of, or is it basically a 'hobby' type thing for people who like to chat by talking as opposed to typing like we do here????
    And, is there any application to the plowing business?

8. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

I am willing to purchase a Tech Manual to get anyone started in radio. Anyone on Plowsite.com could use it to get their license. If your interested in being the first to borrow it let me know. All I ask is that you pass it around to the next person.

One of the big things about being a radio operator is being an ambassador to get more into the hobby. I figured that I could talk to my fellow plowers on the air so we could keep in touch.

Anyone interested in being first? Let me know, I'll purchase a copy as soon as I have someone.

9. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

John, no there is no practical application to plowing. It just seemed to me that there where many others that had mentioned that they were 'hams' as well. I thought it was cool as I have been one since I was 15.

So, yes, it is a hobby but also a serious way to communicate during disasters and other situations. If your cell isn't working and you have no other way to communicate as you see someone in an accident on the side of the road while plowing, possibility hurt.... I would bet your 2meter radio still worked and you could get help on the way.

Just a thought.

PS. It's not CB either; it's very elegant communications.

10. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

John,

"And, is there any application to the plowing business?"

Absolutely not. Amateur radio cannot be used for any business application. Its more for disaster commutation and also as a hobby. We also get active as bad weather rolls in so if you listen to it you can tell where the snow is falling.

Ive been into radios for 30 years. I spent many hours in my childhood looking over my elders shoulders as they tuned up. I can also use my ham radio to listen to some of the local pd and fire depts.

Also I will tell you this NEVER say anything on any wireless phone you wouldnt want anyone to hear. There is always the potential of someone one to listen to your convo.....Rob

11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

is this topic still live ?

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

well not for the last 4years ;)....

opr