1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hallogen or Ultra Blue ?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by KINNCO, Feb 3, 2007.

KINNCO Senior Member

I know some of the newer models of plows come with them, but Has anyone swithed out the Hallogens for the Ultra Blues and did you have any problems seeing while plowing when snowing or with the relays, switches,, plugs...ect??

Thanks guys
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I put those sylvania silver stars in my nite sabre lights, and it made a world of difference. It didnt hurt any relays, wiring, fuses,etc. It was an easy upgrade that was worth it.

KINNCO Senior Member

I forgot about those..I have the rectangle hallogens in my Western and was wantng to switch them out to sometime brighter :dizzy:
  4. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

good idea

I put the blues in my old boss with the square lights & it did make a difference. I liked them because they helped with not so much white.

KINNCO Senior Member

Thanks guys
  6. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

In my location, blue lights are not legal on civilian vehicles. Red is used by Fire Dept, amber for Construction, Wrecker and Plow, and blue for Police.

KINNCO Senior Member

The lights aren't really "blue". They are so bright....they look blue..kinda
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I have the sylvania silver stars in my truck, they are ok Im not real impressed with them. For the money I should have bought PIAA lights.
  9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

He is referring to a higher temperature replacement bulb that emits more of a blue light than a yellow/white light like the stock halogen lights.

Generally speaking, the bluer the light output, the less useful light you're putting out. The ideal color temperature is somewhere in the 4300 degree range, which is where alot of factory HID systems put their light output. The Silverstars are bit cooler than that and are a good budget choice for replacement lights.