1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jasondwade, Dec 18, 2010.

1. jasondwade

jasondwade Junior Member

anybody have any good luck with Halite?
  2. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

halite is another name for rock salt bud...

welcome to plowsite :laughing:
  3. jasondwade

jasondwade Junior Member

I know that. But I've used other rock salt that worked a little better. Was gonna try some halite from southern states but didn't know if there was any difference.
  4. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

There is a difference between salts that come from different mines. There is also a coursness or grain rating... Most bagged product is medium course dry kiln. It will come screened. There are different levels of screening. The most important part is not getting a fine powder and insuring that a product is "flowable".

I sell it and I've gone through a lot of different types.

"halite", "rock salt", "road salt", or "sodium chloride" are just whatever the manufacturer decides to put on the bag. There are different reasons for the different names. Halite is described by the state in terms of chemical analysis and is rated for its chemical tendencies. It is the same with the other names. Most names are chosen due to market appeal and legal terms.

UK salt tends to come in brown... South american mines tend to be snow white.... many American mines are cloudy.... it can change due to where the product comes from. American could be brown.... south american-foggy.... You get it... but generally they come in one way.

How you treat, screen, and store salt says just as much about the quality as the way it was produced/where it was produced.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

halite is all we have ever used
  6. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

To clarify, "Halite" is mined rock salt from within the earth. It's not unique to any mine or manufacturer, although different sources offer different levels of purity and density. Evaporate salt is the alternative, whether it be from solar evaporation or from hydro-mining, where water is used to dissolve and underground deposit, and then brought back to the surface to be separated via mechanical means as well as evaporation.

Tomato, tomato.