1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Halfsies on a Trailer of Treated Salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by readysnowplow, Dec 10, 2009.

1. readysnowplow

readysnowplow Senior Member

Would anyone be interested in going in for a trailer or half trailer of bulk salt from one of these distributors or www.meltsnow.com? I am in Chicago and if a few of us got together and purchased a trailer we could get a mixed load and would probably save on the bulk pricing.

2. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

where in chitown are you???

3. readysnowplow

Southeast side. Between stony island and jeffrey blvd.

4. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

nevermind...

5. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Where do you buy your salt from now? I live 1 mile from Midway Airport, and go to the Menards in Countryside (LaGrange and Joliet Rd) and pay $231 a skid or $4.72 a bag before tx. I don't use enough salt to buy half a trailer.

6. readysnowplow

@Kbsnow, I usually buy bulk and put it in the back of my bed to refill my spreader. I get it from town and country. It's treated and does okay. I was just thinking if a few of us in the area went in together to buy a load we would all save. The problem of course would be where to store it all. I have a few options but it would require some driving and I'm not sure that would work out too well for everyone.

7. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

I bought 1 skid so far and keep it in the back of the pickup, which stays in the garage. My other pickup stays outside, so I only take about 10 bags a salting in that truck. How many skids on half a trailer, and what would the price be.

8. readysnowplow

I believe there are about 20 tons on a trailer load. But with that being said, i don't think we'd have to get an entire trailer maybe a half or 20 skids. I was trying to gauge the interest before I did too much research. I'll look into it this week.

9. Most you can have is 18 skids on the trailer. 15 to 16 with a fork truck. Let me know how muh you are getting. As we went through 12 pallets the other night

10. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

There is 49 (7 rows with 7 bags) of 50# bags on a skid. 20 skids is 20 tons roughly.

11. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

A skid is a ton and a quarter. ;)

12. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Yep...2450#'s....

40 bags is a ton......

13. readysnowplow

@R&R, let me know if you guys need another truck in Matteson. I'd be available (Boss 8.0 and F250 SD also Chevy Dump w/Western 8.0) Also, I will look into the prices and see what is beneficial to everyone else. I'll try to post some prices. What's the lowest per bag or trailer you guys have seen so I won't consider those that are out of the range. I don't go through nearly as much as you guys in Matteson do but price is price.

14. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

OK, here is the pricing I have found.

Menards Countryside, $231 per skid ($4.72 per bag skid price)

Home Depot $6.77 a bag no break for skid price.

Schroeders in Worth IL, 108th and SW Hwy - Halite Ice Master $195.95 per skid BUT I HAD ISSUES WITH THIS SALT. Schroederws sells 2 kinds of bagged salt. The 3.99 bag is bagged at Schroeders from their bulk salt pile outside under tarps. It would NOT RUN THROUGH my tailgate spreader as it was wet. I bought a ton, and returned it. They then offered the other bagged salt, which was a regular production run from a regular salt company, and it was $232.75 a skid or $4.75 a bag. They did make good and offer to exchange "THEIR" salt for the "STORE" salt at the same price of $3.99. I took 10 bags to try and it worked fine.