1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Half Ton's with V-Plows?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by plowguy43, Sep 4, 2015.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey guys, been slow in here but am wanting to see how many of you are running V Plows on half tons? If you are running a combo, please post up a picture I'm really interested to see how the different half tons hold a V-plow.

Please no bashing, let's see them!

2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I know one guy who has a 04 dodge with the 7' 6" boss v, it's held up ok, but he babies it

3. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

4. MattsMowingOH4

MattsMowingOH4 Member

I have a 2014 Siverado 1500 Double Cab with a 8'2'' Boss VXT. With a 2.25'' Leveling spacer and ballast in the back it dose great. On lighter snows I will even throw my Boss wings on from my DXT! I have always had a half-ton in fleet. I don't have any pictures currently but I always update my thread with fleet pictures once a year.

5. plowguy43

Nice, I'd love to see that setup! Guy nearby has a Tundra and it handles the Boss plow well. I'm assuming since the Boss is fairly light most half tons would hold them ok.

6. MattsMowingOH4

MattsMowingOH4 Member

I don't know about light it's a 785lbs plow and another 100lbs with the wings. I do enjoy my heated seats, mirrors, and backup camera that my other work trucks do not have!

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If I hadnt had Fishrr push plates and wirring given to me I would have got wo h a Boss V on my Tundra.

8. plowguy43

Yes not "light" but definitely lighter than other V Plows. Seeing as some 7'6" straight blades are nearly 700lbs, having a wider V Plow that weighs a little more is worth it IMO.

9. mercer_me

The 7.5' XV2 weighs 914lb. What is the point of making a 7.5' plow that is way to heavy for a 1/2 ton truck? Like I've said before, Fisher should make an 8' V plow that weighs around 700lb for 1/2 tons.

10. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

11. mercer_me

Boss also makes 7.5' V that weighs around 700lb. I just don't think 7.5' would be quite wide enough. I know with a straight blade going from a 7.5' to an 8' makes a huge difference.

12. JustJeff

You are right, but add a set of wings, which would add minimal weight, you've got a pretty good sized plow that can move quite a bit of snow for a half-ton.

13. mercer_me

When I was looking into Boss V plows the dealer told me that adding wings to a 7.5' would make it heavier than the 8'2".

14. JustJeff

I guess that's possible, but I haven't done the research to see how much Boss wings weigh. I'm guessing that pro wings don't weigh that much. I've checked Snowdogg's website, and I could find their wings before, but I can't find them at the moment to compare (their website sucks). But for arguments sake, if the wings weigh 50 lbs. a piece, you're adding an additional 100 lbs, but you've gained an entire two feet worth of snow removal. I don't know, I guess it's all relative when considering that 700 lbs, is probably plenty on a half-ton vehicle, so an additional 100 lbs. could be a huge difference. Especially considering how much more weight there will be when the plow is full and pushing snow.

15. mercer_me

That's how I felt about it. I didn't want to go over 750lb but, another 50lb probably wouldn't make a huge difference.

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

how about......?

teee 119.jpg

17. Yankee

Yankee Junior Member

Here I am stressing about putting a 720lb fisher on my 2013 Sierra 1500. when I went in to buy the truck they said they couldn't put an HD on a 1500, I told them if it wasn't rugged enough to plow I didn't need it so they rigged up a 7.5HD (630LB) right away. 7.5 is just a little too small. Any issues with your front end? Thanks.

18. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

I ended up putting Timbrens - new HD Springs - HD shocks and its held up for now. This was AFTER I also believed a 1500/150 could handle putting a 700lbs-ish plow on it! It eventually tore up the front end and this was with a Boss Standard straight blade. Went through a hub, two spindles, and other misc parts! My F-350 handles my Boss DXT fine though! Just my opinion - well - actually experience.

19. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

I simply can't justify putting a 8' plow on any 1/2 ton. But that's just me.

20. b&esnowremoval

b&esnowremoval Junior Member

I have a 7' 6" Boss V on my 2014 Ram 1500 and we have the same plow on a Tundra that's been on for 3 years with no issues. This will be the first year for the Ram. Fawr is 4000 on the Tundra and 3900 for the Ram but with a little extra ballast I don't see an issue. The only thing I was worried about was the electronic power steering but I've seen a few other Rams with them last year and talked to guy that did commercial with it and he said zero issues so far. From what the dealer said it's not a weight issue on the steering but rather an issue with both the plow and EPS both demanding power at the same time, if that becomes an issue I'll put in a diesel dual battery setup and heavy duty alt...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015