1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Half ton vs 3/4 ton trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Drewster2012, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Drewster2012

Drewster2012 Senior Member
    from Ma

after looking at some f250s i went and then looked at some gmc/chevy 1500 and ram 1500. now the plowing i plan to do with this is mininal as its going to be a personal truck/work truck i think a 1500 towing and plowing would be fine but i want some options on people who plow and tow with these tyoes if trucks, if you have pics of a plow on a 1500 post it so i can see, thanks

2. scooter97

scooter97 Member

What are you looking to tow? Also what are you looking to plow? These are both important to know when picing out a truck. Also what year range of trucks?

3. Drewster2012

from Ma

about 6500 pounds and just plow a few driveways (less than 10) and brand new truck

4. scooter97

scooter97 Member

If you are looking new they I would say 3/4 ton, you could get away with a 1/2 ton maybe but you would be pushing it. Also a 3/4 ton gives your room to expand aka tow mow pick up more plow accounts, etc. Like others may say look for left over fleet trucks at the dealers, some may also have last years model still sitting around and want to move them along.

5. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

1/2 ton is a car

6. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

I have both and it depends on what your towing more than anything. The plowing of 10 or less driveways will not hurt a half ton truck. I have plowed with half tons on commercial lots for years with no issues.

7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Sounds like a 3/4 ton would suit you better. They have stronger front ends and can tow more.

8. Snoviper

Snoviper Senior Member

Check the new truck warranty

If you buy new you should check the warranty, most will not cover plowing with a half ton. You can also ask the dealer if they will honor the warranty with a plow, some dealers may still service it under warranty, but you would be going on their word unless they put it in writing.

9. xc23

xc23 Member

I have plowed comm W/ a GMC 1/2 ton for ten years 151056 mi . No trans problems no front end issues. You just have to take care of the truck and know your limits. I also pull a 16' landscape trailer with a zero turn mower. you need a 3950lbs gvw on the front of a 1/2 reg cab to put a fullsize fisher 7 12' plow .Ext cab, buy a 3/4 ton or you have to buy the small fisher residential plow too small in my opinion.

10. Drewster2012

from Ma

thats good to hear. i want a 2500 but can get a loaded 1500 for the price of the lowest trim bone stock 2500.. i most likey wont even plow but i will tow on a daily basis

11. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Crest chevy in conway nh has 2014 2500 series chevy with an 8' fisher for $32k...

A 3/4 ton with cloth, power, and a radio shouldn't be much more than the average 1/2 ton..

You want the heavy truck. Period.

12. Drewster2012

from Ma

ive know changed it to a crew cab 4x4 short box so a 2500 in the config is going to be very expensive. if i want the preium sound system and nav in the chevy its an upwards of 50k im not sure if its worth it but i could be wrong

13. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Get a regular cab. You are young and don't have a family, yes? Why burden yourself with unwise debt?
    Buy a stripped 2500 regular cab this time around. Make your money, build your credit. Step up to a nicer truck in stages. Word to the wise..

14. Drewster2012

from Ma

I don't have a family. But I do have friends and can't fit 3 friend in a regualr cab... Plus I want some options.. Mabey a crew cab ram tradesman or wt gmc crew cab short box may be better? Id I did to trademan crew can short box is prob go diesel the. Better mpg then the hemi

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Seeing as we are in the commercial section get a 3/4 ton.

Don't get a truck that will just do the job, get
    more truck than you need.

yea yea I know 1/2 tones have come a long way
    but
    the 3/4 tones have come a long way too.

16. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

If I only had 1 truck would be a 3/4. But the half ton will do, also rides better and does save fuel. More repairs but cheaper parts and easier to find.

17. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Definitely get a 3/4 or even 1 ton. Plan ahead for growth, especially if you are buying new. I have a 3/4 ton Chevy for my mowing crew. It worked fine with a 16' open landscape trailer, but 2 years ago I added a new 61" scag cheetah and an 18' enclosed trailer. The truck was sagging pretty bad in the back pulling that thing. I put helper springs in the back to get by, but I know that's not the safest thing to do. Now I'm in the market for a 1 ton.

18. Drewster2012

from Ma

Yeah now I'm looking at 3/4 tons 1 tons is to big for my needd right now

19. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the 3/4 ton for the reasons listed plus better resale value.

20. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

A 1/2 ton 2014 Chevy crew cab with 4wd has a 3950 lb front axle.

Depending on the engine 5.3/6.2 and rear 3.08 to 3.73 you can tow 9,600 to 11,800.

The numbers point to a 1/2 doing the job for him. I would not get a reg cab even if I was single. The flexibility that a crew cab has, is worth it. Crew cab provides not only more passenger room but a weather proof storage area that can be locked.

Yes a reg cab can have a bed box installed to carry equipment but it then turns an 8' bed into a 6' bed pickup with no 2nd row seat.

Leather seats, heated seats, top of the line audio system are examples of just making a truck more expensive while not improving capability.

So if you can get a base 3/4 for the same money as a loaded 1/2. It is a no brainer to spend the money for more truck then for more money on non important options.

Though cutting off the same options on a 1/2 ton will make that truck even less expensive and a crew cab even more affordable.