1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

half ton v blade

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by yardguy28, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I'd like to know how snow dogg is advertising this new v blade as for half ton pick up trucks. I checked the website and according to the specs it weights 700 lbs.

the boss 7'6" v blade I just got for my half ton truck weights 700 lbs.

I've filled out the plow selectors for both boss and snow dogg and both of suggest a sport duty to standard duty blade of 7'6".

so tell me again how is this new v blade from snow dogg specifically for half tons.

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

If it really is 700 pounds, and meant for 1/2 tons, I could put an 8' Fisher HD on my 1500 because its 717 lbs.

EDIT: Just checked Snowdoggs site...I can't put it on my half ton. Which makes no sense. If its marketed for half tons, why can you only put it on a regular cab GM 1500(torsion bars), not even on a regular cab F150(max GVW of 7200, not the 8200 pkg.), or regular cab Ram 1500. I only tested it on 2006 MY trucks in their plow selector. Of course, I wouldn't hesitate to put one on my truck if I needed a plow, but since some follow mfg. recommendations, they wouldn't put one on. Marketed for 1/2 tons my ass.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I know a lot people runs 1/2 ton trucks to plow with. Myself I think your asking for problems with 1/2 ton trucks with a well made snowplow

4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

^Thats your opinion, but I've got 3 of them! One is a 1999 Tahoe, had it since 2003. Plow since 2003, 7.5' HD MM2. I've put 40k miles on it in almost 10 years. All original except front u-joints and intake gasket and radiator. No Timbrens, no turns on the bars, and it plows great. But, the body is starting to get crispy, frame is great.

5. Krumm

Krumm Member
    from CR, IA

Its meant for 1/2 tons with plow prep package. I wouldn't hesitate putting it on one.

6. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

From the SnowDogg website...
    "The SnowDogg® VMD series puts the power and versatility of our VX series plows into a package designed for 1/2 Ton plow prep trucks."

The VMD was designed using the same weight constraints as the HD75, which was orginally designed to suit the 2007 F150 plow prep truck. Obviously we can't build a plow that will go on ANY half ton - some half ton trucks are clearly not built for plowing. The new electronic steering packages on the 1/2T's also limit things severely.

If I thought it was possible to build a 400lb V-plow, I would (and so would all of my competitors most likely). However, V-plows need to be strong, and there is no denying that you need the right amount of steel in the right place.

For a better understanding of what makes some plows fit on some trucks - check out this thread.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=85592&highlight=ballast+smoorman
    Believe me, the plow manufacturers have NO control and very little influence on what models the truck manufacturers make, and trucks are generally built to load the REAR, not the FRONT.

7. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I'm with you man. I've had a plow on my half ton for the last 3 years. it was a boss straight super duty 8'. weights 698 lbs. nothing done to the truck except a lift kit in front to raise it a bit for certain driveways. trucks in great condition.

I just recently got a boss power v 7'6" blade. weighs 700 lbs.

I haven't checked out that link yet. I will after I post this but maybe this new v blade should be marketed differently then?

when I see adds in magazines, adds on websites that say a v blade for half tons I think ALL half tons.

also I notice on the snow dogg websites plow selector there are 2 different choices for the gvwr for my truck. choosing the smaller one the v blade is not recommended. choosing the larger one it is. bosses plow selector only gives me one option for the gvwr.

I've already got my plow as I said above. a boss power v 7'6" blade. and since I was wired for boss from having a boss straight blade snow dogg probably wouldn't have gotten my business. but I am sincerely curious about the marketing of this blade and just wanted to share my view point of what I as a consumer are seeing and thinking with the way you are marketing this blade. others may be thinking the same thing as me.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The same way they and everyone else markets their Vee plows for 3/4 ton pick-ups. Check any manufacturer's fit selector and you will find not all 3/4 ton trucks are approved to carry a Vee.

Many 1/2 ton trucks are not approved for even a straight blade. It is not the plow manufacturers job to assure contractors buy the properly equipped and rated vehicle for their intended use. If you want to carry a Vee plow you should make sure the truck is approved for the duties you intend it to perform before you purchase it. If you want to exceed the limits set by the feds in the FVMSSA and the vehicle manufacturer's suggested limits that's on you and many do but the plow manufacturers cannot approve it.

9. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

I'm genuinely curious where you saw the VMD advertised for 1/2T trucks as opposed to 1/2T plow prep trucks, because I've been very adamant about that. If you can point me to an ad, I'll take a look. Our sales literature is very consistent, but I can't vouch for every ad that is being placed (but I would like to know).

A whole lot of 3/4T trucks can't support a "full sized" plow either. That's why every plow manufacturer has a plow selector of some sort.

10. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

it's called false advertising.

it has nothing to do with who buys what and who exceeds what. I was trying to help snow dogg change there marketing thinking maybe others notice what I did.

when I or probably most anyone else sees an add like that they expect it to be true and some look no further into it and want or get that product.

I know when I saw the add in the magazine for the first time I called up my dealer and got a quote. never checked the website, never checked the specs. it wasn't until weeks after that I finally thought hey what makes this v blade different from any other v blade since v blades don't ever seem to be for 1/2 tons. that's when I saw snow doggs v blade weights as much as bosses.

for the past 3 years I've ran a boss super duty 8' straight blade that weights 698 lbs. the truck has nothing done to it. it handles it fine and is always removed when not in use. the truck is in excellent condition. so I feel very comfortable with the 7'6" boss power v blade I just switched to weighting 700 lbs.

I just wanted to know if I wasn't missing something with snow dogg marketing this v blade for 1/2 tons.

11. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I don't have the specific issue, it may even be the current one but the snow business magazine is where I saw a full page add. I don't recall anything said about it being a prep truck.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So your dealer failed. He should have asked the what questions, what truck, what motor, what front axle, what cab and what bed before he ever gave you a quote. Perhaps he doesn't care if it's approved or not, no reason for him to unless you asked him for an installed price.

I don't understand your agitation?? You obviously don't care about approved fits and the unit would bolt to your truck.

13. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

uh the price the dealer gave me was installed price.

it's not agitation and you seem to be the only one who thinks that. even the snow dogg sponsor sees where I'm coming from and has been most helpful to me.

I'm not gonna waste anymore of my time explaining it to you. I got what I wanted from this thread and as far as I'm concerned it can be closed.

14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Fisher/Western/Blizzard advertise plows for half ton trucks (HT,etc) yet you can't install them on an F150 due to electronic steering. Maybe you should start another thread in those forums about false advertising (and reading comprehension) as well.

15. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I don’t think it’s necessarily the manufacturer’s responsibility to make sure what they sell you will fit and work with no problems on your truck or equipment. I think they all do a pretty good job at stating what the requirements are suggested to be for your specific plow and/or truck. The way I look at it, you don’t go to the hardware store to get a screwdriver without knowing what type you need (flat vs Phillips, let alone torx). Would you want them to require you to bring in your screw that you plan on installing to verify that you are getting the correct driver. I mean what are you possibly going to do when you need a Phillips #1 but you bought a Phillips #2?!?!?

Some call it false advertising, but personally I think it’s a matter of not doing your own in depth research to make sure what you get is what will work and what you need, and so you look for someone to blame for the issues. No different really than the idiot that claims a slip and fall on you, because they didn’t see the snow and ice on the ground (but they could see the store from where they parked).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.