1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Half ton Plow Weight

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by growmow, Nov 3, 2012.

1. growmow

growmow Junior Member
    from Canada

What would be a realistic plow weight for my 2011 silverado 1/2 ton pickup? It looks like most plow company's recommend keeping the weight below that 575lb range for their 1/2 ton models. I am sure that they have good reason for this but it keeps me in a light duty plow which I do not feel will hold up. Mostly be doing residential and small commercial.
    A 3/4 ton truck is not an option. My closes dealers are Arctic snow PLOWS, Western and
    SNO Way. MY truck has oem 2 " front lift kit and a extra spring in rear. What's your opinion for plow weight and brand?

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Western Midweight

3. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

4. growmow

growmow Junior Member
    from Canada

The Sno Way's are new in my area, not many using them. Their specs do not show moldboard guage and the ones i have seen look kinda thin. Comments on Sno Way plows range from the best to the worst.
    Forgot to mention in my original post that we also have a SnowDogg dealer in town. Would a 675lb plow be to heavy or would I have to add Timberen's in addition to my 2'' lift kit.
    Thanks for the web links.

5. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Put some weight in the back and order a WideOut. Thumbs Up

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Snowdogg but Im biased since I have a VX95. What factory lift kit do you have, can you post a pic?

7. 2006Sierra1500

As I said, Western Midweight would be perfect. But they have the same front end rating as the old, torsion bar 1500. 3925, and we have a 7'6'' HD on our 06 Sierra 1500, no suspension aids whatsoever.

8. growmow

growmow Junior Member
    from Canada

The lift kit is just a 2" spacer installed a the top of the front struts, unable to post pic. The 7' 6 Hd on your Sierra a Fisher or Western?

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

10. 2006Sierra1500

Fisher. We have no turns in the bars, no timbrens, no leveling kit. This is an older truck with bars instead of coil springs, but with the same rating.

And I was playing around on Western eMatch and it said I could put an 8'6'' Pro Plow on the Sierra 1500...

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

On the 2006 Sierra REGULAR CAB LONG BED changes drastically when you extend the cab. Try running the all new 2007 Sierra 1500;)

12. 2006Sierra1500

I was talking about our 2006 Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 6.5 foot bed

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you are asking a half ton to do the work of a 3/4. That's fine as long as you are aware of and prepared for the consequences.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Well, right you are, Western says you can do it. Still is a destructive thing to do. You want to play with big boy toys, buy a big boy truck. 1/2 ton pickups are viable snow moving machines but for durability, operational reliability and maintenance/repair affordability you need to match the blade to the truck capacities. You can haul concrete blocks in a Honda Ridgeline once in a while but it won't stand up to it daily.

Regardless of whatever outlandish concepts you have of your truck's abilities they are moot to the OP as he has a 2011 truck. Stop by a dealer and take a look, they've changed since yours was made.

15. growmow

growmow Junior Member
    from Canada

Unfortunately the 3/4 ton is not an option for me because the 1/2 is already purchased. I know you"ll say the 1/2 ton will cost more in repairs in the long run and I understand that, but it boils down to what I can afford now. I live in the Windsor Ontario area and 15 snow events per season is at the high end. On average 3 to 4 of those snowfalls would be more then 5"inches at best. The rest of the snowfalls range between 2 and 4 inches. London Ontario which is about 1.5 hrs north would on average get 2 X that amount. I am also focusing on residential, small commercial contracts.

16. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Basher is right. Match the plow to your truck and if you want a little more plow then be reasonable. Don't go trying to hang a 8'6" vee off the front of it. As long as you take care if your truck it will be ok ie, preventative maintenance and not plowing like a complete ram rod. I plow with my half ton and it does a fine job. Is it better to have a heavier truck? Maybe but its not a necessity. Use your head and you'll be fine.

17. 2006Sierra1500

@basher Yes I know, I have a 2011 half ton sitting in the driveway. Coil springs -_-

18. growmow

growmow Junior Member
    from Canada

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. This may be a question for Basher.. When the wings on a Revolution are in the forward position and your plow catches on a drain in the middle of the plow, how will it be able to trip being it is a full trip design? The wings in the forward position will prevent plow from tripping.
    Should it not have a trip edge design? I know Arctic SNOWPLOWS have some prototypes which I may purchase, they made 6 and have 2 left. Cost 7400 Cdn. I would put in on my newly purchased but used F 350 powerstroke, not on the 1/2 ton I talked about previously.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The plow will lift as it trips. Yes if you are doing 35 mph in the box position it will be quite a bang. It is different than a vee for a number of reasons.

The issue in a trip edge is weight I only know of Meyer's 1/2 ton Vee plow at 582Lbs as the only wing blade plow besides the 26R that is suited for your truck. It is trip edge but only 7.5' as opposed to the 26R's 8 feet and lacks the Down Pressure. Yes Snowdawg has their trip edge 1/2 ton vee but it is in the 700lbs range and is not an authorized fit.

20. growmow

growmow Junior Member
    from Canada

Meyers gets a bad rap, has then been improvements in recent years with there plows? I've seen them at trade shows, they look impressive.