1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Half ton pickup plowers...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

What is your setup?

I have to outfit a 03 F150 shortbed extended cab truck and an 06 F150 shortbed extended cab truck for the winter.

We currently have a boss 8'2" V XT for the 06 F350 and a Boss 700lb spreader, i think it takes upto fourteen 50 pound bags, its the tgs1100, big one.

Im thinking im going to upgrade the f350 to a SnowEx 7500/1.4yrd or 8500/2.0yrd V spreader. Both should fit the long bed f350 and it would carry the weight.

The current boss spreader could go on either of the F150s, but i was thinking about a box spreader for one of those too like the 3000 or 6000 models which are .5 and 1.0 yard capacity.

We also have my trust old 5.0L gas v8 1991 F150 long bed. Since its 2wd, with nice Bridgestone dueler tires, it CAN get stuck it a terrible snow if the roads arnt plowed, tried and done that in 23" in PA in 2005. However, if we used it ONLY as a salt truck so the other trucks on the tight route could plow mainly, what would be a good spreader for it?

I know, that of course way overloaded, we've had 2700 lbs worth of sand in it, distributed evenly over the 8' bed, but i woudl'nt ever put it through that on a daily basis. Although it has no weight capacity like a 1 ton truck, looking at the 3000/6000 models, the only difference is that to get the double capacity, its 10" wider and 10" taller than its half yarder brother.

The boxes weigh 385/415 lbs empty and can hold 600/1200 pounds.... By reading that, i should be able to get 1600lbs total into even the 91 F150, since its 1100lbs less than ive had in it at times when it was really over loaded

The 03 and 06 F150s can definitly hold more, yet since these trucks are newer/cleaner etc, i dont think ive ever put anything in either one of them yet that could total nearly 2k, let alone 2700 which the 91 has carried.

I can get bulk salts or bagged products, which until now I've always used bags but its getting old even with one spreader going last season. I had hundreds of bags after only a smaller storm of a couple inches :/ Bagged only comes on pallets which require us to pick it up, stock it, store it, load it, then open bags, load into hopper, dispose of bags etc.

I am not looking forward to doing this with 3-4 trucks this coming season. If i can keep 2-3 trucks with V spreaders .5 to 2 yarders and run the Boss spreader on the 06 F150, that would be great.

Any experience you guys have with these products, feel free to give some insight. Id like to hear all the good and bad and what trucks your running your equipment on and how honestly it handles the weight high or low. thanks
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im confused a "box 3000/6000" ? do you mean a pick up dump insert?
  3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

no its a SnowEx V box spreader, sits in the back of the pickup truck, its not a tailgate attachment.
  4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

OH, srry , i did use to own a v-pro 8000 it was an "ok " unit , like every thing else good sand bads

personally, if i was you , i dont think its much of a price difference to get the 8000 modle... i would go bigger, then jsut not fill it all the way up... at least the bed of ur truck would stay cleaner, and you could transfer it to a larger truck down the road...if you go with the smaller one, it really doesnt hold much more that ur tailgate spreader, and is hard for a buket machine to load if your gonna use bulk
  5. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

96 1500 chevy, short bed, 7.5ft fisher old style snow plow. just do a few residentials
  6. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

03 150 fx4 ext cab 7.5' blizzard out front
  7. apachemh60

apachemh60 Junior Member

2005 silverado crew cab z71 with 7.5ft hiniker 700 series