1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Half inch trigger!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TKLAWN, Jan 28, 2008.

1. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Just picked up a small strip mall and managing company said he wants a half inch trigger. This seems a little low to me but he said he won't question his bill and will leave the judgement call up to me. I hope this place isn't more trouble than it's worth
    :drinkup::drinkup:

2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We got some accounts we push at 1/2"... what that tells me is that they want wet payment all the time.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

We've got some that are a 1/4" trigger, but no salt, with run throughs during the day at 4".

Basically, they want everything plowed before they open, so there's no buildup or rutting.

4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Man a 1/2 inch trigger would be sweet. Just salt it and your done :nod: unless its like LwnmwrMan22 were they dont want it salted

5. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

how do you even plow a 1/4 inch????? when i plow i leave that much snow behind.

6. LwnmwrMan22

Basically you're flattening out the snow.

I agree, that if it's not a perfectly flat asphalt parking lot, that you're not going to get the snow up.

It's banks that are the biggest takers here, mainly where the foot traffic is the highest.

Although, now I'm starting to get strip malls to lower their triggers as well.

I've got 3/4 of my accounts at 1", and of those 3/4, about 1/3 are at 1/2" or less.

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Salt salt salt. What a good Deal. NO questioning of the bill. I wish all mine were a half inch. I would be make a killing>>>>>>payup

8. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I hear that

9. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

We have alot of commercial lots where if it's enough to scrape off we need to plow it!

10. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I live across from a phone company, and their lot was plowed AND sanded the othernight at 1am, (and yes of course I was up watching) there was less than a 1/2" 1/4" was almost pushing it, they were making the bigbuckspayup, or wasting salt and ruining the plows cutting edge.:confused:

11. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I think they were making the bigbucks! payup

12. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Ive got all mine at 1/2 inch except for one res. She wanted it at that but her mom went nuts. So she agreed to 4" trigger. Her mom (69 i think) said that she is perfectly capable of shoveling it all and daughter agreed to 4".lol/

13. LwnmwrMan22

I'll be honest with you. With my accounts, the money doesn't automatically double each time the trigger is cut in half.

I give a percentage off to drop the trigger amount, somewhat like buying points on a home mortgage.

I'd rather have a lower trigger at a slightly lower rate, than have a 10" trigger at $900 / hour.

14. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I kinda agree with what your saying lol

- It will take less to plow with them low trigglers

15. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

that and when u take one stripe with the blade down u just cleand like 2 passes because it blows the snow away

16. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

yep it dose lol

17. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

I service about 4-5 condo complexes depending on who comes into work at the company I sub for. all the complexes are to be plowed at 1/2" they want it down wet pavement all the time no matter what. I hate plowing such small amounts I feel like I'm beating on my plow for no reason:realmad:

18. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Those small amounts are when a swingwing would be AWESOME, (I think)

19. Up North

Up North Senior Member

TK, where you located?

Buck

20. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I didn't mean that. What I meant is that pushing less snow takes less time, and it's less wear and tear on the trucks. Therefore it should equal more money. That's a good idea to offer a discount for a lower trigger, most people would probably agree to it then. I'll have to keep that in mind if you don't mind.