1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

half a day of fabbing = 4 springs

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Nov 19, 2011.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

my plow looks all beefy now.

you dont think 4 springs is too many for an 8foot do you? am i overdoing it?

2. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Thread worthless without pics !!!!

3. birddseedd

[​IMG]

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Thread worthless without QUALITY Day time pics.

5. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

My 8ft Western Pro Plus has 4 springs on it so the plow will do jsut fine

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Are both those springs hooked to one bolt? Why didn't you just go straight up like they are now on them?

7. bob coco

bob coco Member

I can't see that too well but it looks like both springs are attached to one eyebolt? If so that will now be a weak link. You should drill two more holes straight up from the added springs and buy 2 eyebolts from your local dealer and then you will be able to adjust them all individually.

I personally have done something similar. I have an older 9' Pro unimount which had 3 springs. I left them as they were and added two more springs as the newer setups have. So I now have 5 springs on it. I loosened the tension on all of the springs so it stll trips but no where as much as it did with the 3 spring setup.

8. birddseedd

different holes. ill get a better pic soon

9. birddseedd

10. birddseedd

im not the best wielder, but they are strong wields

11. birddseedd

I also fixed my convertable top
    [​IMG]

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Are those wet wipes to take care of your pus$y?

13. birddseedd

swiffer for the floors

14. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

My vote for best post on Plowsite for the year 2011.

15. birddseedd

anyone like how i shovel my sidewalk?

16. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Wow.:dizzy:

17. birddseedd

wow what. the wield penetrated the entire length of the steel. its just not as pretty of a wield as it coudl be.

18. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

It's weld not wield. And no, your welds are not strong. I can tell by the "cold toes" in your welds as well as the lack of metal prep. A couple of hits with a 5 lb hammer and that bracket would be gone. What machine did you use for this. This is what you get when somebody buys a welder(machine) and thinks they are a welder(professional person).
    I think the duct tape you used to fix your car's top may be stronger than the welds.

19. birddseedd

iv been welding long enough to make a strong weld. i built the undercarriage which has withstood thousands of lbs of force. iv also built both hitches and trailers, none of which have failed.

so yes, you might THINK you know about the weld because i spelled it incorrectly, but i assure you, iv already put much more force on the brackets than a 5 lb hammer, as i said. the weld penetrated all the way through both pieces, using a 220 stick welder.

also its curious how you assume i claim im a professional just moments after i said i wasn't.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  20. bob coco

bob coco Member

Don't let those guys get to you. I was once ready to jump on a plane and fly across the country to kick some punks butt for stupid comments that got me boiling.

He was right though about the prep. If you started with clean metal the welds may look a little neater. I hope the extra springs work out for you. Good luck and may you have a happy holiday season.

And A Happy Holiday to all. Oh yeah, My boat comes out of the water Sunday so from Monday on, Let It Snow!

Regards, Bob