1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Had Western Pro Plus Plow Installed now dim lights and popping sound in speakers

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2011F250Lariat, Dec 3, 2010.

1. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

Had Western Pro Plus Plow Installed (9 foot ultramount) at a reputable dealer/installer in illinois (regonal truck equipment) now dim lights and popping sound in speakers when the plow is in motion (when buttons are pressed on remote).

Truck is a 2011 F250 6.2L (gas) Lariat fully loaded with navigation and snow plow package. Varified upgraded alternator to 150 amps. Standard factory battery with 650 CCA.

Ford is baffled, as is the installer.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like switched power is hooked to the wrong source in the truck.

3. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

thats what i was thinking but the installer double checked it and showed me where that is under the drivers side dash and they claim its right, if it did nto change from 2010 then i highly dought they would get the wrong wire, if it did change for the 2011, then maybe, my question here would be wetehr i can hook the switched power up to one of the auxillary switeches instead to test to see if that makes a difference.

4. no lead

i would try switching it.

5. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

i would be more surprised to find its the same as 10. they change things every year. little things, to keep the masses on their toes.

"Oh you completely melted your cpu? oh the manual is from 10? oh yeah we moved the aux power, and switched it with the cpu... dang, thats going to cost alot..... credit, check or cash?

seriously though, does your sound system have a factory amp. it could be the amp fighting for power. Thats why they install capacitors in aftermarket low amp systems, to handle the additional draw.

6. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

yes my truck has the upgraded sound system with amp and subwoofer. but the noise happens weather the system is on or not.

7. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

ok, i switched it to the auxillary (upfitter switch). Got same problem. Could it be the western module they installed?

8. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

was it installed at a western dealer? or a small shop?

9. no lead

lets start with the dim lights. you mean the headlights are dim? if so something is hooked up wrong. the dealer should not have given you the truck if it isn't right. my bet is the lights are hooked up wrong and it is feeding back through the harness.

take it back and have them fix it.

10. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

at regonal truck equipment, a authorized western dealer and installer.

11. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

not just headlights, any and all lights in the vehicle including dash, and it only goes dim when the plow is in motion(when it is drawing power), meaning i am pressign a button on the remote, otherwise it is fine. i did go back to them, they went over and double checked all the wiring.

12. no lead

the only other thing i could think of would be a pinched wire. is it possible to try a different plow on your truck? that would rule out a bad wire in the plow side. we just put a 8' pro plow on that same truck last week. no issues at all.

13. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

And they witnessed the popping through the speakers and let you walk back out the door? you are somehow getting an electrical current into your truck that wasn't there before.....

call western.. thats b.s. sorry man I hope they fix this for you.
    My dealer took the truckside wiring out of mine and replaced it with a new one because THEY were having an issue with it before I even picked it up. This was after they had finished and were testing it.... they finished at 9pm. long after close.

p.s. my lights do fade a touch when my plow is in motion. I have a 950cca battery I believe... bigger battery or a twin system is definately in order for you. but back feeding your speakers is absolutely on them..

14. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

when i came back to the installer with my issues they tried different plow as i left myine at home and same problems.

15. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

yes they witnessed the problem, they called western and western claims they have known issues in the latest ford superduties, meaning last few years, with the trucks that are fully loaded with navigation system.

as for the battery upgrade, everyone seems to tell me that a bigger battery wont necessarily help, that its the alternator upgrade that is more important (and i have the plow package with 150amp alt), as that is what puts out the power the plow needs.

16. CLIFF A

CLIFF A Junior Member

Hello, I work for a Chevrolet dealer and we are experiencing the exact same symptoms your describing on a recent Western plow install. We installed a 7.5' Poly Pro plow on a 2011 Ford Lariat with the Nav radio. Getting a popping sound in the speakers w/radio on or off, and also dimming lights. We've been in contact with Western...they recommended a reflash of the trucks computer. Local Ford dealer did the reflash, no help. We tried changing all the power and ground locations, and cannot get rid of the noise. I, too have suspected the 650 CCA battery to be a bit small for a plow prep package. Any idea's would be appreciated.
    P.S. we have installed Western plows for years and have never had any issues like this!!

17. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

Is that 2011 gas or diesel? and does it have the plow package (upgraded alternator)?

So sounds like western told you to reprogram the PCM, same here, mine is outdated and there is a PCM calibration TSB out there for it, there is also a reprogram for how the fan cools the engine with a plow package installed, but i highly dought that it has anything to do with the plow install or my issues, but i am having this redone monday at the dealer, will update after they do this, after that i will tackle upgrading battery if i still have the same issues.

After thinking about this and talking with several people it might just be the lack of power becuase of the highly amplified navigation/sound system, and maybe when plow draws the power, the sound system doesnt get what it needs and makes popping noise through speakers, ill know more on monday night, I am ready to install second battery if neccessary.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  18. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

Definetly toss that battery, the alternator is good but the battery acts like a giant capacitor, it supplies the initial power surge when your pump kicks in, the 150 amp alternator will then ramp up its output to match the draw but there is always a lag from the alternator at the initial pump start.electric motors can require 2 to 3 times their rated usage at initial start. So a 30 amp motor can initially require 60 to 90 amps to get going, a 60 amp 120 to 180 and so forth. the current Battery cannot handle such a large draw that is why your lights dim, watch your volt gauge ( a must on a plow truck) voltage should not go below 12 and never below 10.if it does your sysem needs an upgrade as something is going to fail and usually at 3 AM. All of our trucks have dual 850's or better, no exception. the big current draw and undersized battery is the most likely source of your problem this will cause a profound voltage drop that your computer nav system does not like one bit, hence the pop.
    should this not be the problem I can assure you that it will be in the future. And there's nothing worse than a dead rig than one at 3 AM and a foot of unplowed snow in front of it.

19. bsieb

bsieb Junior Member
    from NJ

My brother has the SAME truck with a boss plow... SAME exact problem. The boss dealer ended up installing a second battery with harness in a plastic marine box on the frame under the passenger side towards the front of the truck. cleared up the popping noise. He was baffeled and so was the dealer, but he was way more MAD!!!

Good luck, I hope all of the plows dealer pick up on this one... He even got Boss engineering on this and they had no clue!

20. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

The simple test..... put another vehicle beside yours (not running). Jumper cables from second vehicle to yours and retest. Problem goes away it is a current issue. Here are two links that all of you should look at. While they are car audio related, insert plow for car stereo device as a draw is a draw no matter what the device is. I guess having a car audio background for 20 years can come in handy still. I wrote the one sticky on the site 6 years back and it is still there to this day and is used across the entire car audio industry.

The importance of a proper ground.
    http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~49445~PN~1
    The importance of a proper electrical system.
    http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~73496~PN~1