1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Had to say "no"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Remsen1, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

This is the first time I've had to do this, but I had to tell a customer "No, I'm not going to be able to take care of your driveway this winter." This is the first time I've said "no" for one of my core services ( I have said no for extras and stuff like that, but for mowing and snow, I usually take all that I can get)

He's a mowing customer of mine (first year cutomer), but for my snow route, he would be the only customer in that neighborhood, my next closest cluster is 20 minutes away. It would be a big pain in the butt for me and I would hate going there everytime I had to. Additionally, in my area within a 5 mile radius 1 neighborhood could get 12", another 6", and another 1". I would never know for sure whether his would need to be done and I would really hate to go out and only have his to do.

He was nice and understanding about it, which made it harder on me. On the other hand it's kind of liberating to be able to do something that says I'm in control and its not a matter of "as many customers as possible at any cost". I guess this means I have grown.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Congratulations. It gets easier. At least you know you're going forward.:waving:

3. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

I have told a bunch of people NO this year mainly because they were single houses and it takes me way off my route. I do mention though that if they can come up with a couple of others that need plowing in that area that I could write them in. Sometimes it works out that I get a few new customers that way.

4. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Send them to me! hee hee payup

5. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

Since he was a mowing customer, I feel you made a mistake. I know I wouldn't go with you in spring if you turned me down in winter and if he wanted you for winter, he was satisfied with your work mowing.

6. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

I agree jkitterman. I have a friend that finally decided it was time to buy a plow truck. He would loose a few mowing accounts every year because he didn't want to plow. The customer would hire someone to do the snow and give them the mowing work too. You need to provide full service to your customers or you risk loosing them to someone who does.

7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I have always tried to let the customer be the one to say no. In this case I would have said "Because you are off the normal route I will have to charge you travel time which will be the same rate as if I was plowing" as for knowing weather there was enough snow to plow his area Just a simple phone call to him would tell you. If it is a job I do not want then my price reflects it. You would be surprised at the people that will accept a contract at double the price then you think it is worth. Let price control the amount of work you have.

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

I agree and I also let them know because of the travel involved I will get to them as soon as I can but, in a big storm that may seem long to them.
    they are always welcome to call me on my cell to inform me if they need service sooner, I accommodate as best i can. especially a mowing customer.
    I have turned down plow only several times due to the distance.