1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Had to Happen Someday

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cold_and_tired, Oct 24, 2011.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Going into my sixth season, I have finally lost my first account. They went with another company that will handle all six of their locations.

I'm not sure who got the contract but I will find out in the next few days.

The good news is that I landed two more today! Combined, they are a little smaller than the one I lost but they will help make up for lost income anyway.

2. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

We experienced that in '09-'10. We had every lot in a large commercial park except for 1. We lost 6 accounts to the contractor based on price. They got fed up with them because the company wasn't providing the same quality service that they were used to with us. '10-'11 we had 5 of the 6 back and halfway through the season we had the 6th account back and picked up the remaining 1 they had always had.

People don't realize how much they want real service until they lose it, then they will be willing to pay the extra money for the service.

Hopefully you'll have the same experience we did. Good luck!

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Your only allowed to be pissed for a day then move on. If you don't you won't last long.

4. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

So do you raise your prices when they call you back or keep them the same as they were before?

5. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

That I couldn't tell you. I'm just a route supervisor, so I just find out from the company owner immediately when we add or lose account. I don't deal with the exact numbers.

6. cold_and_tired

I'm really not that pissed. It's a free market anyway. They weren't upset about the service or the price, they just want to minimize the amount of vendors they have. They invited me to bid on all their locations but they are just too spread out for me and I don't feel like finding any subs. They are also a net 45 which put me in a bind a few times.

If they called me back, I would keep my prices the same. I want to keep my customers and not give them an excuse to shop around next year. They weren't malicious or mean about, just trying to improve their bottom line.

Think about it. Would you rather pay 10 different subs or one company that had ten trucks?

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

8. cold_and_tired

That's true. They have locations all over town. The two furthest ones are separated by a 45 minute drive in good weather with their other locations sprinkled in between.

9. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

I have a motto for every door that closes and can find several more that open.