1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Had the poop scared outa' me!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pelican, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I shovel a few walks for my customers and on this last storm was taking care of one at about 2:00am. I live in a fairly rural area with no street lamps, and at 2:00 am, and not much movement of any type. You've got the area pretty much to yourself and the deer.

I had shoveled the walk and was preparing to take care of the wooden steps when a blood curdling scream erupted from under the steps! I nearly fell on my rear end into the pile of snow I had just shoveled!

I regained my composure and approached the steps again, this time my guard was up. As I got close, this scream came out again, it sure sounded real, but was identical to the first one I had heard.

I contiued to shovel, and noticed there were Halloween decorations still out. Next, I uncovered a mat at the foot of the stairs that was connected to a speaker underneath. Every time you touched the mat, the scream could be heard!

With the mystery solved, I finished the job, and went back to the truck. I'm just glad no one saw my first reaction!:eek:

Any one else have any exciting/embarrassing moments?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2002
  2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

pelican thats funny!
    i plow my residentials with my 93 jeep wrangler 6'6" western unimount. any like i said in another post after you plowed a pass the driveways were really slippery. so i finished plowing this driveway and go to get out to do the walks. i dont know how my foot got stuck but i opened the door put my left foot on the ground and slid partially under the jeep (while my right foot was stuck under the pedals) i was hanging on by the steering wheel.
    my buddy in the passanger seat was hysterical laughing as i was stuck like a jack a$$
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Not sure this as funny as those two - I'm still roaring at he image of Pelican and cringing at Paul trying to get back in the driver's seat.

I go out on a sanding job with the 3500 loaded with two yards of mix. Get out of the truck to look over the site and plan on how to best tackle the job. Feel something just barely brush my arm and look around to see the truck taking off without me. I'd forgot to put it in Park:eek: :eek: .

It was barely moving and the door was open so I could just reach in and push on the brake. Hate to think if I'd shut the door.
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I bought a new pair of boots and found out that the sole is pretty slippery in the snow, especailly any hardpack. So when we doing walks I alomst fell a few times. Well when the guy riding shotgun with me, acts out how I looked to my fellow drivers at breakfast, he loses his footing and ends up head first in a snow bank. We all got a good laugh from that one.
    I also saw something that I have never seen in CT. After the recent non winters, everyone is real itchy to get out the mongo sleds they own. Well I saw one that had hit a telephone pole. Front was all mashed up, but no one was hurt. I stopped to ask a few ?? The driver was a real young guy, and I was less then sympathetic to him I suppose. Well I get a call about an hour later from someone asking for shoveling work, me and my helper were wondering if it was this kid looking for some money to help with repairs. We never asked but had a few good laughs.
  5. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

I did the samething yesterday! LMAO:D

Got a call to plow a customer of mine's babysitters driveway. I said sure thinking I could fit it in. Pull into the development and do thier drive. 6 drives later:rolleyes: I'm finishing the last one and I'm pressed for time. I stop to survey the job and see the homeowner at the door. I get out, to get paid, and the truck is beating me to it! The customer was in hysterics!:D

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Dockboy, maybe if your truck wasnt all souped up, it couldnt have beaten you to the door, LOLLLLL. Damn turbo and chip, haha. Mike :D :drinkup:
  7. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Ya ready to sell me that truck yet Greg?
  8. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I was plowing a pretty steep drive,very icy underneath which caught me off gaurd and i didn't have chains on because i never needed them for this one,got 1/4 the way up started spinning like mad,got out to check it out,fell on my axx truck starts sliding backwards my open door goes over top of me and almost knocks me out,truck slides back to the bottom were the door hits a snow bank and gets folded around so it could french kiss my front fender!funny now but it wasn't pretty at the time.
  9. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

How have you been??!!!!

I've missed ya!!!;)

Sorry, not for sale yet:D I'm still trying to get more power out of it!

Yeah, I think it's got like 100 hp at idle LOL!!!!!

10. SlimJim Z71

100HP at idle... LOL!

I'm good, other than I keep getting in car accidents (none my fault... yet). I miss plowing. Maybe once my kids get a bit older, I'll get back into it. We've gotten a few inches here, but nothing major yet.

Pelican, that was hilarious. I can imagine what that must've been like. Would've scared me too...
  11. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Last year We got some of that nice wet snow then it got real cold, A couple minutes after making a push the water left on the lot would freeze to make like a skating rink.I had some trouble with my front mounted pump solenoid sticking on so it would keep running, If I dropped the plow and cought it before it hit the ground it would usually stop, Only one hour to go thought I could finish and fix it in the morning.
    A couple dozen more pushes and it sticks again shake it a couple times still running, I grab a wrench from in the cab jump out to give it a rap, Just as I swing I slip and fall hit the headlight with the wrench now I am laying on the ground with broken glass all over me laughing so hard I can't get up, Wondering who saw me.
    The pump stopped probably from the impact when I hit the ground.
  12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Yea, it was an eye opener.

Arc Burn, one word.... Ouch!

Glad you're OK.
  13. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Approx. 25 yrs. ago my buddy & I decided to go 4-wheelin with his new Bronco and my Int. Scout. We ford thru a creek and climb to a hilltop, then park. Well, his was in park as my Scout slowly backed itself down that same trail. My reaction (dumb one too!) was to grab the front bumper and apply drag in hopes it would stop. My buddy's yelling "let go, let go!" as I then, reluctantly do, with visions of a smashed SUV in my head. It backed thru the creek and came to a plush and soft rest against a sapling!! No damage. That was the subject of conversation for the rest of the week!
  14. SlimJim Z71

While we're on the subject of runaway vehicles:

The other day, I decided to go fill my truck up with gas since it was getting pretty cold that night. I head down the street to the corner gas station, and as I'm pulling up to the entrance, I see a mini-van back out of the parking lot and across the 4-lane highway, and then proceeds to start going in circles backwards in the middle of the intersection. Yes... no one behind the wheel. I thought for sure someone was going to get hit. I get out and was trying to make a run for the van, but traffic wasn't stopping. A guy across the intersection had the same idea, and he managed to get in through the passenger side and get it stopped. A few seconds later, a teenager comes running out of the gas station like "what are you doing to my van?"

Luckily, no one hurt, and nothing got hit. Amazing... simply amazing.
  15. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

The gas station's security camera probably caught it on tape and we'll someday see it on "The World's Worst and Dumbest Drivers".;)

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

When I was a kid my brother and I decided to sleight ride the hill at the corner of our street. As we approach the corner 2 neighbors Larry and Ronnie are stuck with their 65 LeMans. My brother and I were prepared to help when the car breaks loose out of the snow takes off and goes into the ditch. Larry didn't think to put Ronnie in the car and the car was not on self pilot. PLEASE KEEP LARRY IN YOUR PRAYERS...HE GOES IN FOR CANCER SURGURY WEDNESDAY.