1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Had my new Xtreme V installed.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by NYH1, Nov 26, 2015.

1. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

I had a Fisher 8.5' SS Xtreme V plow installed on my new Ram last week. I also had them install Timbrens as well. I figured while it was there and they had them in stock it'd be the time to do it. This will be my first time using a V plow. Any tips??

Thanks, NYH1.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Make sure your installer properly leveled the A frame. If it not it will cutting edges uneven. Then after you get to use you will wonder why you haven't bought one sooner.

3. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

You will love it. Great plow to own.

4. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

Everything looks good as far as I can tell.

Anyone running the blade stop kit on your V-plow?

Thanks, NYH1.

5. Yes. I added it to mine. These hydraulics are so fast the constant slamming of the angle cylinders can't be good for them. Should be standard equipment like it is on the 9 1/2 footer.

6. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

Thanks Motorman. I'm going to get them for mine.

NYH1.

7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Dont mean to hijack the thread, but how long would you say it takes to get used to using the V ?

8. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Took me 1 storm with the controller. When back dragging, don't hit any wing buttons!

9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

:laughing::laughing:

Yep been there done that. Was a surprise the first time.

10. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Yeah after using a straight blade for 23 years this could take a little adjustment period.

11. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Good luck!

12. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i was this close() on ordering one this summer decided to hold off . good lock and let us know if you have any problem

13. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Nice choice! Good plow.

Tips...try to tone back your excitement your first couple storms, otherwise your face will hurt from so much grinning!

The time savings alone, you'll never regret the coin that you spent on it....the plow that is, we won't discuss the truck lol!

You've run the XLS for awhile now, you won't have any issues adjusting to the V plow. I will say though, I sometimes will anticipate a outcome or reactions from a maneuver like I'm using an XLS, but instead end up with something more like a straight blade outcome...mostly cleanups, grabbing snow from one side of a drive or edge and trying to move it away as you turn...the XLS was far better in that respect. It's hard to explain, but I suspect mid season you'll be like..."I know of what you speak now".

I got in a wreck last season with my XV2 and used a friends 7.5' straight blade for a few storms, first time in 8 years. Man was I grateful for that plow, but boy was it a gut puncher. It was like banging my head against a wall, for every one move I use to do in a multi positional plow, it was 2-4 in a straight blade.

How goes it my neighbor from the other side of the pond! I caught a cocker of a Bass in your marina this past september! I've never fished in there before, a lot of activity.

Are you sure they're standard on the 9.5'? 9.5' XV2 doesn't come with the stoppers, atleast the 2 I've bought haven't, getting my 3rd one this week, I'll advise if they're in there.

14. Somehow I knew you'd come out of the shadows on this thread...my work XV2 is an 8.5 and it didn't have them but I bought them after seeing a friends 9.5 that did. I've seen 2 since bought from our mutual vendor Langs that had them.
    You have to let me know when you are going to be so close by so we can have a beer together. Great to hear from you Ryan.

15. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

How well do the Xtreme V's back blade? I'll do a lot of back blading.

Thanks, NYH1.

16. F250/XLS

F250/XLS Senior Member
    from Canada

My stopers did not come with the plow,,,, it came with the wing kit....

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

Great, atleast the 9.5 does, it's heavy with a slim edge, so it digs in nice, especially when new. I'm going to try the optional back drag edges this year....curb guards too for that matter :nod:.

One thing to note, like someone else said, once you drop the blade to back drag...don't touch a button until you're ready to lift the plow, the wings will go into scoop mode due to the bypass feature. I sometimes will hold the V button towards the end to consolidate the pile, lift over, then drop in scoop to push where it needs to go....man I can't wait to play in the snow again! but I digress...you'll love the plow, no question about it. :drinkup:

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

Ah yes, now that make sense.

How do you like the wings, are you constantly putting them on, and taking them off....do you find them particularly useful on a v blade? My only concern is that it would hinder windrowing a bit as it would decrease the directional force coming off the end of the blade, so I'd be constantly putting them on, and taking them off.

19. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'll PM you.

20. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

I'll have to get use to not moving the plow while back dragging. I used to move my other plow (7.5' SD on my half ton) all the time while back dragging. It was good to do while close to mail boxes, stairs, decks, ect.

Thanks guys, NYH1!