1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Had a question about money

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by extremerider44, Feb 17, 2004.

1. extremerider44

extremerider44 Junior Member

Hey guys a newbie here had a question when u plow someones property do u guys ask for the money up front or do u usually wait awhile and send out statements to people to telll how much they owned U thanks for the help be cool
    NICK :waving:

2. DJL

DJL Senior Member

A guy/gal that flags me down off the wrong, payment immediately. SHOW ME THE MONEY!! Someone you service on a regular basis it depends on what you have worked out in your contract or gentlemen's agreement (i.e. no contract). For mu commercial (only have one) it's 30 days after receiving bill. My residential. They get an invoice the end of every month due in two weeks. This is for my situation. Others may/will tell you different.

3. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I don't think knocking on someones door at 3am would go over to well :nod:

4. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I would have a contract in place for any plowing you do for anyone. Picking up the one timers, though enticing for quick cash, can bite you on the back end with liability. Operating with a contract in place, traditionally you would either provide a seasonal fixed price (varying payment terms - e.g. 1/2 down, net due January 15th - or billed in four or five equal installments) or you might invoice on a per occurrence/per push basis. How frequently you invoice for the per push accounts will vary. It could be after each storm, once a week, twice a month or at the end of every month.

5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

EX......Welcome to Plow Site!
    Picking up one timers for cash money is OK !
    You have insurance don't you? You are covered !
    Maybe you could pick up a pad of "release of liability"
    forms. You can get them at any large office supply store!
    Have the customer sign it........

Get the 1 timers customers CASH money on the spot !
    Carry a book of cash reciepts with you. Give them one if
    they ask !

Also....Do a nice JOB! Hand them a business card !
    SELL YOUR SERVICES !

Remind them.... THEY could have that NICE clean driveway and
    steps like Mr. Jones next door does EVERY SNOWY morning !!!!!

ALL shoveled and salted....No nagging the wife to get outta
    the rack in the AM and shovel so your SUV won't get stuck!
    LOL.......JUST JOKING !!!!!

Build business....Make $$$$

Find out what the prices are in your area !
    DO NOT UNDERCHARGE ! or lowball
    You only hurt yourself and fellow plowheads !
    When it snows there is plenty of work for ALL !!!!!
    and CASH too !!!!!!!!..................geo:drinkup:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

flag downs is a cash only with a maybe in telphone and names for potenial customers,already established accounts are billed and commercial sign a contract that i write up

7. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Some bill after each storm, others bill at end of month. Depends on what customer wants.... I never do wave downs,,,snow hides too much. Hate to put a truck down in the middle of a storm to make an extra 50.00, when that truck has 2000.00 worth of customers expecting him. All of my crews much visit all sites with me in the fall to learn what I want done and to see obstructions....Chuck

8. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

PLOWMAN, I hope you contracts are written better than your replies on this forum! Please try to type sentences in which we can read clearly. I think I speak for everyone that even though your replies may be valid, Sometimes I think that Ozzy Ozbourne is writing your posts! Thanks. ;)

9. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

sonjaab reply...

sonjaab:waving:
    Bravo! Excellent reply! This is the kind of professionalism that is lacking in many a response here. Perhaps you've seen the thread involving the reporter recently. He got many paranoid responses and I thought it made us all look bad. I'd like to think that we provide a valuable service and do it with pride.
    SJ, you made my day buddy.:D

TLW, Ditto that.
    John

10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I send out bills after EVERY storm. After I get some sleep too:D
    I use the Blizzard Buster and it's very easy to keep track of all the customers billing.:waving: