1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Had a misfortune this morning

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowpusher tim, Jan 4, 2009.

1. snowpusher tim

snowpusher tim Junior Member
    from MN

This morning I was plowing with my dad who comes along to help out. I was touching up the sidewalks and where the plow comes by the curb with a shovel, when I heard a "thud" sound. Not thinking to much of it, I keep waiting to see the plow truck start another run. I didn't see it or hear it. As I walked around the building, my dad meets me and says I better finish plowing. I peek around the corner of the building and I see broken block on the sidewalk. He put the reciever hitch through the building. "OUCH". There is a softball size hole in the block. I have a contractor going to look at it today, but that is never a thing to put holes in buildings.
  2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

If u get lucky its just a brick overlay and then its just matter of replacing a few of them. Also i hope you told him to keep plowing. **** happens gotta get back on the horse
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Thats not that bad...

I totaled an f150's frame backing up into a concrete wall.payup
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  4. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, I hope you told him to get back in the truck accidents happen.Could be just a simple patch job as well.
  5. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I had a building jump out behind me last winter. Missed the hitch but banged up the bumper.
  6. snowpusher tim

snowpusher tim Junior Member
    from MN

Thanks for the positive words of encourgement. But I just got off the phone with a contractor I work with, he says 3 blocks are broke and another 6 are cracked and need to replaced. And there is a small hole in the wall. I was afraid to ask how much. But maybe need to turn it in to the insurance company. I" ll keep you all updated. And most of all, watch out for them darn building jumping in your way.
  7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

what type of blocks? i the damage will be less than 3000 max
  8. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

Hey,Bad luck but at least no one was hurt.We had a guy killed blowing out his driveway last night.The driver of the car did not see him (dressed in dark clothes) as he back up and stepped into the street for another cut at the bank at the side of his driveway.Be CAREFUL out there people.Machines and things CAN be replaced.You and your workers lives CANNOT.nough said.
  9. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Should not be to big a deal, if you can still find those types of blocks. A mason can have that fixed up in under 2 hrs. Happens every year, we hire a guy for a few days, who goes around and fixes it all.
  10. Neige

Neige Sponsor

That's horrible, my sympathies.
  11. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

one of your workers?
  12. KGRlandscapeing

In any weather or time of day Any person this goes for home owners you must take percautions To see and be seen. Weather it be a reflective vest or one of those goofy flashing clip on light things. And you also have to take ur time. Safety first and my reguards to the family
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  13. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

thtas why you have the hitch on the back :) better no damage to the truck vs a 2k rear spreader :(

My father has plowed for the state of NJ for years, hes probably better at it than i am still, he'll actually get out and yell at people to move it if theyre in the way.

He calls up on the phone bitchin the other week because two township cops on his route parked in a parking lot he was salting, like JUST parked there 5 seconds ago right in front of where he was going. So he goes by and stops, looks at them and keeps going. He gives em the benefit of doubt, comes back around still spreading salt and doesnt shut down this time, probably pelted their cruisers pretty good so they both left and went to the next lot across the street within seconds lol.

Id be scared theyd pull me over on private property for something! Cops in the city sometimes arn't too bright though.

My father i had out a few times last year helping mow accounts for a few days, his first day on one of the new ferris zero turn mowers, he slides on a slight angle, and takes out a customers mailbox post :realmad: I was only 5 feet away too :/ I called the lady up and told her about it a few hours later before she got home. I was able to prop it back up, but she was laughing saying that its been broken from a city plow, they only had it strapped up with some plastic ties lol. Didnt let the pops off the hook though for a while.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

itll take longer than 2 hours to set up for the job? then clean it up and redo, in the right conditions 8 hours.easy
  15. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

9 blocks grind the joints out removel of blocks mix mortar in a mortar pan reset blocks strike the joints clean up done by lunch.
  16. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I've had myself or my help do some of these stunts. Back receiver hitch through a block building also. I dont remember what happened. We also put a backhoe arm through a tractor trailer box. I think that cost $1500. One time my help backed into a 25' tall lighted sign breaking it off and laying it into a four lane road. I think that went around $4000ish , 15 yrs ago.
    ONe time I looked over to see one of my guys pushing a Ford explorer with my plow truck becuase the person came in and parked right where he was plowing. We had a little chat about it later.
    YOu gotta love plowing ! :dizzy:
  17. KGRlandscapeing

I could see it with a loader or maybe a mack or peter 10 ton still a funny thought
  18. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

tim where you at?