1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Had a hose burst

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by earl964, Jan 1, 2008.

1. earl964

earl964 Member

I have a MM1 and had one of the angle ram hose burst ,it actually was rubbing on the angle ram and it wore through it. Changing the hose should be no big deal , but what do I refill with . On the side of the motor there is a sticker that says ATF but the fluid that came out looked almost clear. Also how much should I expect to pay for new hoses? This is my first year with a MM1 . I had a fisher speedcast for the past 24 years with a pump under the hood never once lost a hose just everynow and then throw some power steering fluid in and I was on my way.
    Any help would be great.
  2. mgf250

mgf250 Member

I used ATM in my old Fisher pump too. Everything was under the hood but I did rupture an angle cylinder hose once.

I brought the broken hose to NAPA and they made me a new one. I can't say that all NAPA stores have a hose setup but any truck dealer or Fisher dealer will.

As for the color, I personaly have only seen red but the colors on everything else over the years have changed so why not ATF too?
  3. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I would recommend replacing both hoses. Keep the other good one for a spare. The hoses run between 18-26 a piece.
  4. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

You have been very fortunate to have not popped a line until now, i usually go through a couple a year. Many of the auto parts stores in my area carry pre-made lines for most of the plow manufacturers at pretty reasonable prices, i would bet that if you poke around a bit someone close to you will stock them as well (this is fisher country after all). Mixing of different hydraulic fluids is never a good idea so unless you can match up the fluid you have now (as i recall meyer fluid is clear but i'm sure there are others) then you should purge the whole system and re-charge with all new fluid. You don't mention what type of pump you have but unless its an underhood belt driven pump i would stay away from atf, it doesn't perform well in electric/hydraulic units in cold temps. Good luck, Roy
  5. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

What fluid is good to run in Electric/hydro units? it is mounted under the hood but is electric. Thanks ken
  6. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Earl Napa and Robbins carry premade hoses. I know as I have bought them there and I live close to you:rolleyes:
  7. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Tranny Fluid is hydraulic fluid , the color is added so it can be distinguished from motor oil and other automotive fluids.

Plow oil is clear because it is hydraulic fluid with out any die !~!~!
  8. Be careful there boys!!

Fisher makes a special fluid for their Insta Act pumps used on late MM1's and MM2's. DO NOT USE ATF! Most NAPA stores will have it. It is a dark blue color and has special additives for moisture to keep it from freezing since most plows are stored outside. Don't cheap out and use ATF, you'll be sorry.
  9. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I have run atf in my underhood electric/hydraulic units in the past without any problems but in recent years i have learned quite a bit about the cold weather characteristics of certain hydraulic fluids and now only use atf in my belt driven systems. Its a well known fact that using atf in electric/hydraulic systems is a recipe for disaster, the waxing -up tendency of atf will rear its ugly head sooner or later