1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Had a close call the other day

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dewey, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I had a scare the other day.... I was heading down a local road thankfully it is a narrow road and I was going slow 15-20 mph ... With my Vee-plow close to the ground and in a Vee.. As I came close to a driveway a kid came into the road with his snowmobile.. I slammed on the brakes and headed for the ditch but ,I still whacked him hard enough to spin the sled 180 degrees and back into his drive.... I have no idea why it didn't total his sled and bust the kid up.... thank God he was ok and the sled just a scratch or two... The only thing he was worried about was me wanting to talk to his mother LOL... Just goes to show you always have to be alert !!!!

2. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Holy $hi_!!

3. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Had a similar thing happen during the January blizzard. One of the teenagers from the neighborhood decided that it would be a good idea since there was a travel ban in effect and there would be no one on the road (kid didn't know plows were exempt) that he could race his snowmobile down the main road. He came around the corner and saw me in the middle of the road and he ended up crashing into the snowbank. Kid was so upset after the cops showed up I decided to hook a tow strap to the snowmobile and drive him down the street to his house. Pretty sure his parents were more upset he totaled the sled than the fact the cops wrote him $500 worth of tickets.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

When in doubt,drop the plow ,done it a few times when cars decided to stop in front of me.

5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Almost ran over a kid yesterday.Was backing up and turning when a kid helping his dad runs and slips out of site under my plow.Almost had a heart attack,had a little "chat" with dad.How could you live with that on your conscience? That would be the end for me.

6. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Thinking the same thing !!!

7. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Flagged down the plow driver in the lot next to me, after some lady walked across mine into his and stood right where he was about to back up. He had seen her and was waiting for her to move but I didn't know that. I ended up backing up and yelling at her, I think she was drunk.

8. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Yes...sooo much to watch out for.

People who are dumb

People who are stupid

People who are naive

People who think they are above the law

But....the biggest mistake, not thinking

9. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Had a young child run behind my truck all excited to see the plow in action...just as I hit reverse..I saw him/her and stopped with time to spare, but God Daaaamn. The mom/babysitter was in a building across the street, came running...and yelled at the little kid like it were an adult....what a moron..

10. I always worry about plowing the snow forts shut.. If I see a snow fort in a drift I stay away from it as do not want to bury a kid or destroy some kids hard work...

Kids love plows...Just watch out and be safe.

The snowmobile accident would have scared me.... I always drop the plow....

One icy morning I was going to plow and saw all these deer tracks all over the road....and was trying to think what it was....headed down the hill...there they were 24 deer on the road as it was not icy....I dropped the plow and hit one deer....a bump not hurt but was like wow...

11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Unfortunately, I'd be more worried now that you will be sued. In todays world, I'm sure some how it was your fault a kid on a snowmobile drove out in front of you:eek: Got to love lawyers...Might give your insurance guy a heads up...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  12. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Had a close call during the last storm..

Wife and I were clearing a commercial property when she got out and began to perform her "shovelmonkey" duties. Well, she was in front of my blade....in between the building. My right foot began to tremble, as it wanted sooooo badly to depress the accelerator pedal. It kept calling me "slam on me...slam on me " as if the pedal had a mysterious voice that summoned my right foot to stomp on it...

Well evil won out over good, and i put it in reverse and backed away from the situation with all unscathed..

Better luck next time...:laughing:

On a serious note.... Glad the,kid on the snowmobile wasnt seriously hurt. That would have put a damper on the day..

Btw...did you talk,to,the parents, and what was their reactions.?

13. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Glad he wasn't hurt. Hopefully, as someone else said above, you don't end up in court.

14. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

Ya I talked to the mom... ( Single Mom) She was like no big deal..... I told him he shouldn't go in the road :confused:.... I followed it up with a text the next morning... just to see if maybe he was sore
    She commented that as adults maybe we over reacted LOL...
    I told her that if she had heard the thump and saw him fly around she mite think differently.. What else do you say to that.... ????

15. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Wow ! Just wow...

16. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

What else do you say? I would tone it down a little, you don't want to talk yourself into a law suit. After what you said she may take the kid the ER for X-rays. Get her thinking you were going to fast for conditions, especially a plow driver should know better and be on the look out.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  17. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Here in KC we have a sledding hill on Brookside, a major street. Several years ago, 3:30 AM I am doing 20 mph on the way to an account. About 6" on snow on the road. Dam kid was sledding down the hill and could not stop and went into street. Honestly did not see him until he is in front of plow! Heard the bang, and thought I had killed him. I stop and get out, actually shaking, knocked him 20 or 30 feet. He got up and runs back up to the hill to sled. I could not move for 5 min. I now do about 5 mph in this area, sometimes even without snow. I still shutter thing about it.

18. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

I work fairs and festivals in the summer and had a kid run across the street in between traffic. Never saw him until he was almost in front of me. Knocked him a good 10' and he was in the middle of the street unconscious. I thought he was dead. After about 5 mins he came back around. Thank god i was only going about 10 mph as it was a congested area. Worse part is the reason he was running across the road was the adults he was with left him behind at the county fair and he was running after them. Still see the kids afro running in front of me sometimes

19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I the way to the lake a kid rode his bike down his driveway and right in front of my friends truck pulling his boat going 45mph.

killed the kid instantly.

Deemed not to be his fault, he still committed suicide a few months latter. It haunted him

20. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

wow, Dogplow, talk about 49 shades of snow