1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

H2 Wheels on 2500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NBI Lawn, Feb 18, 2011.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Being a Dodge is hubcentric and H2's arent I know you need to taper the center. Does anyone have advice on the best way to go about that? Drop it off at a machine shop or I have heard just use a file it out? Pics would be great if you have them.

Thanks

2. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

3. NBI Lawn

Great thanks!

What did you pay to have yours machined?

4. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

free of charge, my cousin / ex-boss is a 2nd shift supervisor at a machine shop. Any local shop with a bridgeport (knee mill) can do this for you.

If you click that link below my photos (cumminsforum link) there are quite a few photos of truck with Hummer rims on them just to give you some options!

fyi call your local GM or hummer dealer and ask about "take off" rims, surf ebay, and craigslist. I snagged mine up off ebay for cheap!

5. NBI Lawn

I founds some chrome ones off an 06 that the guy took off when the truck was new. Just rims and caps for $300...decent deal? I have a thing for black rims with chrome lips...both my Vette and Camaro have that set up. All are red so I figured my Dodge would look good with that as well :)

6. Booman70

Booman70 Senior Member

both Dodge and GM are lugcentric. I have done two sets of 5 for my truck with my angle grinder no problem I modded the Dodge caps to fit with a Dremel

7. NBI Lawn

??? I thought they were hubcentric

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

heck even stuff from back in the 70's and 80's thay started hub centric.

just he truck stuff has taken off with it since late 80's early 90's

9. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

dodges are Lugcentric

300 isnt a bad deal but just remember for a little more you can get after-market rims as well.

rimzoneonline.com is a good place for rims/tires Thumbs Up

10. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I have a set on my Ram. I just used a carbide straight router bit with a pilot bearing on it. Set the bit at a depth that takes almost all of the angled section on the inside of the hub hole. Run the router from the back side, it is flat. Worked great for me. You won't use the bit for making cabinets anymore, but it works. I then modded a set of Dodge caps. Make sure after you do one, that it works on front and rear, as the hubs are a little larger on the front,,,I think?

kevlars

11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

This is how I did mine, and it took me less than 5 minutes per wheel. I used a rasp file to "clean" up the openings just a bit and make sure they fit over the hubs.

12. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Exactly! I used a file as well. I wanted to make sure I got the sharp edge of the chrome plating off, so I didn't get cut while rotating or removing them to put on my winter set of wheels/tires.

kevlars

13. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Easiest way to make the Dodge caps work is to double your lug nuts. I have also heard you can blast them out real easy with a hole saw.

14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Lugcentric. Flush bit in a router.

15. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

I did mine on the mill at work. Any machine shop can do it. Or if you have a router I've heard guys doing it that way. As for the caps, you have to cut them down to fit. Depending on how you do it, it can be dangerous. I took the blade off my little battery op skill saw, ran a bolt and nut through the hub, then chucked it in my drill press. Set the height how you want it and while resting on the table ease the cap into the blade at different points till it's cut all the way around. Worked awesome, but a spinning open blade is a scary deal I admit.

16. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I just used a fiber cut-off wheel in the drill press to do mine. The chrome plating really wears out the wheel, might need two of them. But it does a great job. I cut off about 1/2" of the cap.

kevlars

17. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Just do what I said. It will take 20 minutes tops if you are competent. And for the price of having someone do it you can buy a router and bit set that you can now keep. Plus you will save a lot of time transporting them.