1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

H2 Equipment Suggestions

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Flat-Lander, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Flat-Lander

Flat-Lander Junior Member
    from monroe

I will be relocating to an area on the TN/NC line and have never lived anywhere that got snow. The area gets about 40-50 inches on average per year. We have a 1/2 mile drive that has several areas that are very steep and turn sharply. We have a stock H2 and were wondering about getting a plow, but like I said, I don't know anything about dealing with snow removal. I was thinking that I would find a plow for the front and put a salt spreader on the back, I didn't know if that would work--but one of my concerns is plowing the gravel driveway, leaving a thin layer of compressed snow that would freeze, making the driveway even worse, so I thought putting down salt over the scraped area would work--probably not even close, I really don't have a clue about this.
    Also, I am looking for something that will do as little damage to the driveway as possible.
    Any suggestions about how to get started, what equipment might work best, or anything else would be greatly appreciated.
  2. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Sounds like you're on the right track unless you want to pay someone to do it for you. Pretty much anything you do will move some gravel around, especially early or late in the season if the ground isn't frozen. That's part of the joy of a gravel drive :)
    If you're going to buy a plow I'd look at what brand of plow most of the contractors are using in your area using and then find the dealer for that brand. That'll be a good starting point.
  3. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

theres lots of talk on here about plowing gravel drive just search and you will learn tons!!!