1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

H.I.D. Lights

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Feb 18, 2007.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

What do you guys think about those head lights,? My buddy is buying a vee blade next year and wants to know what the pros and cons are on them. I almost got that option when I bought mine last year but I couldn't justify spending 1,200 bucks for headlights. The plow already cost me 5,000 grand installed. But let me know what you guys think about them? Is it worth spending the extra money and getting them or don't waste your money with them?

Ryan

2. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Maybe its just my plows, but I cant keep the new style headlights aimed for longer then a couple hours of plowing and by the end of the route the truck lights are on so I can see more then 10ft in front of the blade. I wouldnt spend the money on them. $1200 bucks buys alot of fuel and salt.

3. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

There was a thread started here a few weeks back in the BOSS plow discussion, scroll back a few pages and you'll see all the responces.

4. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I agree with Troy, plow lights are there to collect snow and ice. Aiming them is good for going out the driveway, otherwise they are like a movable spotlight................

And, if you start with say 3000# salt in the truck and finish with zero, where do you aim the lights to begin with???

5. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

I have them they are great. They are very bright and seem to seperate the snow flakes. I got mine 2 years ago for 700 they was demos. As far as price ill take any comfort as possible. there is never a snow i make less than 1,500.00 on so i would give up 1 snow for comfort.
    Mike

6. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I have 'em too. Bought them last winter with a new plow. Don't know who told you guys $1200, but when i bought mine the dealer said that they were an extra 5 or 600 for the HIDs purchased with the plow, around $1,000 to add them later. So actually if you purchase them with the plow they're not so much.

7. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I have 'em too. Bought them last winter with a new plow. Don't know who told you guys $1200, but when i bought mine the dealer said that they were an extra 5 or 600 for the HIDs purchased with the plow, around $1,000 to add them later. So actually if you purchase them with the plow they're not so much.
    They work really well too. Probably 3 times brighter than my Fisher's lights. Worth the money IMO.
    For the guys that say, "Boss lights don't stay where i aim them anyways." I think i've been getting better at aiming them. I loosen them a lot more than i used to. Tighten the height adjustment first and then tighten the LR adjustment. I've noticed the more that i over-tighten them the quicker they fall. Especially if i over tighten the LR adjustment. So i tighten them just enough so that they wont loosen. They seem to stay aimed better this way. The HIDs help also because if one light gets aimed off in the wrong direction, one light is still good and very bright. I like them.

8. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Nope its not just you. This started on the last storm here and by the end of it i had to use my truck headlights because the plow lights were pointing directly in front of the plow. Very useless.