1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GVWR and Roads

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MnDLawn, Dec 17, 2008.

1. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

I am looking a an 99' F-350 DRW, 4WD, Mason Dump. The GVWR is a little over 12,000lbs. I have one community that puts a 10,000lb restriction on their roads Feb-April. I asked if I could be exempt since I take care of the roads, they said they would bring it before the board. In order for the truck to really pay for itself it needs to be used in this community. Any one else have problems with community's and road weight limits?

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

nope. i wouldnt have even brought it to their attention. with just the plow on the truck shouldnt be more than 9500 lbs or so. but if you have a sander with a load in it, youll be closer to 12k+.

3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i dont see why they would have a problem, thier is a road down the street from me that has a 3 ton limit for some unknown reason. the plow truck and garbage truck goes down it all the time and so far no problems.

4. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

The reason most roads in my area have weight restrictions is old culverts, most of them you would not know are there execpt for a weight limit sign

Lou

5. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

The roads are dirt with tar and stone chips. They do get pretty soft when the ground thaws out. Well see what happens.

6. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

around here they put weight restrictions on alot of roads to keep commercial trucks of them and on the main roads. that is why garbage trucks still go on the without a problem.

7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I just never say anything. You are servicing the road with the correct equipment. I will guarantee when the road was built and is repaired heavier trucks will drive on it.

Even if you get "denied" I would just go ahead. Is someone really going to complain because you have a dumpbed? If anything the 2 extra tires spread the weight out a biyt more then running a loaded SRW.

8. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

The road I live on has a Seasonal Load and Speed Restriction. It is for a couple weeks in early winter and early spring when the ground is thawing and freezing. I have been worried about it because of my trucks, but it is for 26k and above.

You should be fine.