1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GVWR and over weight

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by QuadPlower, May 13, 2009.

1. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

In Michigan I pay for a 24,000 elected gross vehicle plate for most of my trucks. The one I'm concerned about has a GVW of 19,500. I just got a Switch-N-Go dump system for it. It put my actual weight at 12,000. I can haul 7,500 in the bed which is fine.

What happens if I put 9,000 in and get pulled over. I'm still under the weight that I'm paying a license tag for, but over the GVW. If I want to ruin my truck, it should be my right.

Question: Do I get a ticket?
  2. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Years ago I got pulled over hauling dirt. Dirt was wet, I knew I was kinda heavy. He said I was very close on my axles, but was over on tire rating. Got a ticket for that. He said haul less or get other tires, I got better tires. I would have to say you would probably get a ticket. GVW is the max SAFE weight the manufacturor has set for that vehicle. If exceeded it would be unsafe on a public roadway. I know where you are coming from, though. Hope this helps.
  3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

More than likely you'll get a ticket (& an expensive one at that). In NY it's $ 1/pound overweight. We had a sheriff pull over our 2500 HD, with a plow on & 2 yd salter, to his disapointment the salter was empty, of course he found somthing else. My brother hadn't pulled the wings off, measured at 9'-2", legal is 8'-6", he said 9' & he lets slide. $250 ticket, funny thing the permit for over width is the same $ 250. I'm sure he was looking for a full salter & just PO'd. He was litterally going 1/4 mile to grab fuel because the light had turned on while plowing a lot. My calculations with that truck is it could've been at least a $ 2000 ticket if it was fully loaded. We have since bought a 3500 duelly & switched the salter. That truck was bought at the last minute when we picked up 3 acres worth the lots & only had a tailgate salter, in November. Still have the truck, it works great, & hauled the weight fine, stoped fine (new truck at the time), but leagally no.
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I stopped at the local weight station the other day to ask a few questions. I was asking about my F350 w/14k GN, asked how heavy I could load it. They told me as long as I was licensed heavy enough and obeyed bridge law I was good to go:rolleyes:

They made the comment that they were not going to go out and look for my axle ratings

Not sure that I trust that though:confused:
  5. QuadPlower

Two NO's and a YES.

The problem is I agree with ALL the statements. All three of the above could be right.

Any body else have an Official (or just comments) statement.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Monroe County Sheriff's are that bored?
  7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Apartently, yes the commercial enforcement guy are (van). My brother was plowing the OTB on W. Ridge & ran to Hess. I live in the Hilton/Hamlin are & never have any issues with the, get into Greece....thats another story (Greece cops though, I ussally get to go see the DA once a year, for stupid stuff).
  8. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

I live in Spencerport, home of bored cops.
  9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

The ex dot officer I know said he went by plate, and most he knew did too.
    Thats usually were the big tickets come in, because your over weight on your plate. Or not plated for freight etc.
    I run D plates on my 2500.
  10. brp8644

brp8644 Junior Member

in new york state they use the lowest of the two even if you pay for 24000 you would only be allowed to scale out at 19500 in your case. New york is strict though and your state might allow you to haul what you pay for no matter what your are actually rated for. In my opinion you being 2500 over on a 19500 gvw is like throwing a bucket of water into the grand canyon
  11. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

You are exposing yourself to a ticket. The law states (in most States & Canada) something like "no vehicle shall ever exceed the manufaturer's designed GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). The logic is that if the vehicle is beyond designed weight, it is more likely to suffer a mechanical failure that could endanger the driving public.
  12. QuadPlower

My employee was driving my Nissan UD-2000 with a wood chipper behind it. I was following in my Dodge 1500. We were driving from my house to another town to do some chipping. We took US-131 and were doing the posted speed limit of 55. As we drove by a Wendy's I saw the State Trooper (Vehicle Enforcement Unit) parked there. We were both on the CB and I told him to go through the yellow at the next light. I saw the officer pull out, but didn't see him make the light. Closer to town we when through another yellow, so did the officer that caught up to us rather qucikly with his lights on. We pulled into a gas station that we normally get fuel at. So did the officer. I parked my truck and walked over to my other truck and the officer.

He said he pulled us over for not having the US in the USDOT # sticker on the side of my truck. I didn't believe him because there was no way he saw 3" letters from 100 yards away going 55 mph.

Long story short, I got a warning for no US letters, no vehicle inspection sticker, and my driver didn't have his DOT Medical card on him.

Good news is while he was writing it up, I asked him several questions that have been posted on Plow Site. Here are the results.

I pay for a 24,000 pound plate and my truck is 19,500 GVWR. He said I could scale out at 24k because that is what I pay for. I could get a 26k plate and scale out at 26k if I really wanted to ruin my truck.

He based it on the axle rating and since that could not be read on the plate on the door, he went by the tire rating. The front ones are rated at 4,000 pounds so the front axle can have 8,000 on it. The back can have 16,000 on it because of the dually 4,000 pound tires. So I can leagally scale out at 24k because my tires can handle it and I pay for that much on the plate.

He also said that you don't have to have a Chauffers license as a landscaper/snow plow operator. Chauffers license are for delivery vehicles. In MI it is a 19 question test that costs $35 so I recommend it anyway.

You have to have a USDOT # if your vehicle is over 10,001 and used for commercial purrposes. There for you HAVE to have a DOT Medical card to drive that vehicle. Federal Law.

Any vehicle over 10,001 used for commercial, therefore having a USDOT # requires a vehicle inspection sticker.

That is what I learned today.
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Quad's post makes sense. If you're buying the tag, you should be able to haul it. It's your fault if you break your truck. The manufacturers GVWR, is just that, a rating. They continue to bump them up. A recent GM 2500 has a GVWR of 9200. Twenty years ago it was 7200. And some people would argue the older trucks were built stronger. GVWR is a balance of capacity vs. performance/reliability. Lower the capacity, performance and reliability go up. This is largely influenced by marketing. Of course the power is there now to move the weight.

I think there also is a weight per inch of treadwidth criteria too. And I can see a violation for exceeding tire capacity. So even if you have a ton truck reg for 26K to cover your trailer, you wouldn't be able to put 18K of granite in the bed without exceeding your tire capacity.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  14. cretebaby

That just goes to show how stupid the trooper is.

If ratings on everything else doesn't matter, why would the rating on the tire matter?
  15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If that is the law that's sad. Everyone seems to worry about ruining their truck. I am more worried about stoping it and not killing the person crossing at the light. IMO the Trooper is wrong, and they have been in the past. Can you go and get a 24,000 lb sticker for a 1/2 ton?

In Ontario it works like this.
    If you are pulling a trailer that is over 5,000lbs then your sticker for you truck has to include both your truck weight and trailer weight. If it is less then 5,000lbs then it has to be just for the truck. This is why you can get a sticker for more then the legal truck weight. I'm pretty sure you can't take a 9200lb GVW truck and stick 12,000lbs total in it and not get a ticket.
  16. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

i just hauled 2 different 2500 dodge rams with my 1500

now my trailer is 1600lbs and id guess the first truck (had a plow in the bed) was around 8500lbs (my friends 96 2500 diesel is 7800pounds empty thats why i guess the truck was around 8500 with the plow in it)

i dont know what my trucks gvw is but i over loaded the trailer cause it has 3500lb dual axles and says its gvw is 5000lbs

but i passed 4 cops sitting on the side of the high way and i didnt get pulled over at all
  17. cretebaby

If you have two 3500# axles wouldn't you have a 7k GVWR?
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Interesting, thanks for the update.

I would have answered: Depends on the mood of the trooper that day. :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, every DOT trooper I have heard says we DO need the Chauffer's license. Allegedly, if an employee is driving a company owned car they are required to have a Chauffer's.

Good question.
  19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Just speculating, but I believe the DOT is involved in approving tires for weight ratings. I don't know.

I agree safety is much more important than anything. I know a guy that hauls junk with a 94 2500. Hauls 8-10k on the trailer all the time. No brakes on the trailer. Not many brain cells left in his head.

Well, the gene pool could always use a little cleaning, I just hope he doesn't take any innocent victims with him.
  20. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

ya plus the weight of the trailer it self