1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GVW rating for 3500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mick, Jun 23, 2001.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I tried doing a search and looking on Chuck's Chevy Page and a couple of other sites, but can't come up with the answers. I just bought a '96 Chevy 3500 diesel dually C&C with a flatbed. I looked all over for the plate with the weight ratings. Nothing in the door jam, nothing under the hood and nothing in the glove box. I'm guessing with duals, it could handle 15000#, but the tires show "max dual 2150#". So I quickly figure that with a 2.6 sander (620# with hydraulic motor), full of sand (approx 7800#), plus the truck itself I'm going to be seriously overloading the tires. My question is: What is the rating for this truck and am I right in thinking that I need a different set of tires or don't fully load the sander? Does this mean 2150 for each side or each tire? I registered it today for 12,000# because 1) 15,000 cost $80 more until I decide I'm going to be able to load that much and 2) the lady at the town office suggested I make sure I don't need a CDL for that much. So, third question is - Do I need a CDL if I register for 15,000#? She told me about the lady who came in and registered her husband's truck. The husband was pulled over and the cop wouldn't let him drive the truck because he didn't have a CDL. They had to get a friend to get the truck home. Now the wife is mad at the town clerk who registered the truck for not letting her know they would need a CDL. Like the clerk said - it wasn't her fault, wasn't her job to know that but in a small town...

Thanks,
    Mick

Last edited: Jun 23, 2001
  2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Admittedly I'm firmly rooted back in the '70's and '80's when it comes to trucks, but based on what the tires are rated for your truck could probably j-u-s-t handle 15,000 #. (That "Max dual 2150" is per tire)

The truck I drive at work is an older C-30 dually, it's tires are rated for max load (dual) 2150 # also. That's per tire, so adding up the numbers I come up with 2150 x 4 = 8600 plus the 2 front tires, 3042 # each = 6084.

8600 + 6084 = 14,684. Based on the numbers you give for the sander, I think you're going to be real close to the 15,000 # mark by the time you factor in the truck/deck/plow. Perhaps a sander in the 2.0 range instead?

With regard to the CDL issue, I thought CDL was required for trucks with a GVW of 26,001 # or more? (Being from Canada, I could well be wrong on the CDL subject!) Just wondering how trucks like GM's 3500HD and Ford's F450/550 fit into the CDL regs.

Sorry I can't be more "specific" with an answer!

3. Mick

from Maine

Thanks, Rob. That did help a lot by finding out that it meant "per tire". And I forgot to add in the front tires:eek: . I think maybe my wife came up with the best idea - just run the tires that are on it, buy the bigger Vbox but don't completely fill it and buy ones with higher rating when these wear out. Sometimes it's amazing how she can come up with these ideas for something she admits she knows nothing about.

Mick

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Mick,that truck should be a 12000 GVWR,if it is a straight frame truck.The 15K GVWR GM 3500 is called the 3500HD,its 2wd only,has 19.5"rims,and a much heavier chassis and axles front and rear.You can get better tires,which you should,but if I remember right the rear end in that truck has an 8500 lb max rating anyway,so you dont want to go much over that.the front has a 4500 lb rating,both axles will be pretty much maxed out at 12k,so keep in mind this is only a 1 ton truck.

5. Mick

from Maine

Thanks, John. It's also 4x4 and. Apparently, I inadvertantly did something right when I registered for 12,000#.

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

John's right 12K for 3500 4X4 and 11K for 2WD and 3500HD 15K but your only gonna be able to carry around 4,500-6K lbs My e350 is 10,500 and I can only carry 4200 lbs of stock.You can always add leafs springs in back and timbrins in front for added weight capacity.