1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guys with LED work lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Brian Young, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

For the guys who use LED work lights, how well do they work after driving a bit during a storm when they become snow covered. I'm sure they don't burn off the snow like a halogen bulb but do they still give off good lighting? I'm looking to add some lighting to our loader and I saw a couple guys with Soundoff lights and they seem very bright, plus I don't want to be replacing bulbs every other week like we do with the 35 watt halogens on one of our salt spreaders. I was thinking of making a light bar (kind of like an off roar bar) for the top of the loader and using 2- 5" 1400 lumen for the front and replace the 2- 4" round halogens in the rear with 2 new 4" Soundoff LED's. Thanks in advance,Brian

2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

They may be a bit pricey but try the dealer that sells your type of loader ...

All the new loaders have smaller brighter lights....

3. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I curious too how well you guys like them, I have been looking for a while and $88 for a 4" led is the cheapest I can find

4. Brian Young

I only found a couple places that sells them on line and the cheapest price for a 4" round that has 500 lumen was around 100 bucks each.

5. deicepro

I will check the place that I found and get back to you

6. Brian Young

Great thanks.

7. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

8. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

9. Brian Young

I'm sure all these lights are good but I want to know how well they are when snow covered after driving/plowing.

10. deicepro

You will have to clean them off, they don't put out enough heat,jmo

11. Brian Young

Thats what I was thinking too. I'm not about to climb around a loader just to wipe off lights, I'll stick with halogens I guess. I'm sure the alt. is big enough to handle a couple more lights.

12. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

13. deicepro

I was going to try the ones from awdirect.com
    $89 each, doesnt say how many lumens....

14. BuffaloBlizzard

BuffaloBlizzard Junior Member

my three trucks all have sho me lites on them they are pretty bright and I havent had a problem with them getting covered they have 9 different light patterns and are low profile

15. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

I have the SoundOff LED and like them but the snow build up is a issue. It doesn't bother me as much since i use them on the back of my truck for salting and hooking up trailers and such but they do get snow on them and don't melt it!!

16. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

I have been wondering the same thing about LEDs getting covered as i was going to mount a pair of the soundoff 4" 500 lumen.

I found them cheapest at these sites: (I wanted the trapazoid pattern but not everyone had that)

http://www.vlslighting.com/500_Lumen_LED_WL.html ($59, called and got answer seems like small outfit, anyone use them?)

http://www.sirennet.com/soewlc0500dbdf0w.html ($61, but only flood)

I also contacted safeftylighting (guy on here sometimes) as he had said free shipping and competitive prices but haven't heard back.

17. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

stay away from VLS......just my .02

18. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

19. CHasselberger

CHasselberger Member

The rigid industries lights re used on the show Ice Road Truckers and seem to work well...

20. Toolin Customs

Toolin Customs Member
    from Md

I'l always recomend the sound off 1400 lumen lights. they do put off a little heat, and I guess depending on your application you could get some build up. I have some on my headache rack on my truck and I just dont get any build up where they are I suppose, But I promise you, you will not be dissapointed with their light output.