1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guys using Backhoes for snow.. questions?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by rob_cook2001, Oct 28, 2014.

1. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I had planned on purchasing a loader that would be used only for snow but the seller backed out at the last minute and I need to find a machine quickly.. I know a loader will be better for snow but in the summer it is useless to me. So I started thinking about a Hoe, which I can use all season.. My only experences with a hoe in the snow was a sub last year that used a cat (426 or 436) but he was running a 14ft loader box.. It did pretty well pushing straight but turning sucked. The lot it will be used on you need to be able to turn with a full box. I purchased a boss 12ft backhoe box and am wondering how well a 310e or 410e will be able to push this box. whatever machine I buy would be and extend a hoe with new tires and I will also have the tires filled.
    thanks guys
    and I did use the search with out any good results.
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We have 2 backhoe's we use. A BL70 Volvo and a 555 Ford. We have 10' pushers on both of them so we can road them site to site. We thought anything larger may not be best to road. We a full box on heavy snow they can both be hard to turn. You have to take some of the weight off the front and you will lose some of the snow but they are so quick compared to a truck it's worth the set back. Most of the time we push a bunch to the corner and then push it the other direction so we don't have to turn.
  3. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

I think the 310 will be marginal w/ a 12' at best, as it only has 76 gross hp. No problem at all w/ the 410. But then I guess it depends on how deep, heavy and far you're pushing.