1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guys need help with my shoes on gravel lot

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JaysLawns, Dec 21, 2008.

1. JaysLawns

JaysLawns Junior Member

Hey guys I just plowed my biggest account this year for the first time as it is gravel. What a nightmare it was. I was plowing with my 8"2 V XT and I currently run shoes for the gravel. Do you guys think I should adjust the shoes or just raise the blade up a little bit. When I was raised the blade it still wanted to take the gravel with the snow I pushed. I dont know exactly how much of the shoe adjustment that would work. Also when you raise the blade up its like you barely remove any layer of snow above the grave. Any tips would be great.
    Jay

2. the snowman

the snowman Junior Member

Thats why I like a straight blade with Pro-wings. It seems to float over the gravel. Just my 2 cents worthpayup.

3. MIwinter

MIwinter Member

personally my shoes are sitting in the corner in the garage, When I plow gravel I just kind of let the plow just barely "float"(when just feel plow getting friction) ontop gravel. You gotta go up and down with it when you go over hills and valleys in drives. If you accidently grab a blade full of gravel try to back plow it compressing it back in place. I also do that to "hide" where I tear up someone lawn which I fix in spring but they dont care as much when your fixing it as they do when your tearing it up.

I usually plow gravel leaving about 2" in drive then back drag the whole thing compressing it all down. Gravel will always suck plowing.

4. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

take a piece of pvc and cut a notch in the top of it so it fits over your cutting edge keep it in the bed of your truck and attach it when you plow gravel take it off when your done

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

That's why I don't plow gravel. Too hard on not only the plow, but truck too.

6. jwkv

jwkv Member

I just take my time and keep the blade up a bit off of the ground. I too just listen and feel how it is plowing. Eventially it freezes up with a thin layer of snow and is ok to plow after that.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

raise the blade and do it. When it freezes solid then your problems are done.

8. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i don't ever plow gravel anything but that actually doesn't sound like a bad idea.
    just curious how well it works ?

9. MIwinter

MIwinter Member

I think your onto something here. Do you use normal PVC since I would thing it would just break with the weight of the blade? And, how would you get it to stay on without falling off? This is sounding like a good idea if it works.

10. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

When I was in a repair shop talking to the owner who was working on a Blizzard plow and I noticed that it had a piece 2 inch pipe over the cutting edge. It was welded to a bracket that was bolted to each side of the plow. Bizzard has a perfect flange on the edge to be bolted to. I'm sorry now that I didn't run home and get my camera. The owner of the plow does a lot of gravel roads.

11. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

I do all gravel drives, roads, and lots - the only bit I've ever done on asphalt is cleaning up where the gravel meets the main road.

The first two times I've plowed, I used the plow shoes. Some folks on one of the private roads - who did their own plowing for 20+ years - complained it left ice ruts. Considering it still looks like sheets of ice after they plow, I'm not seeing much of a difference there.

The last time last season, and both times this season, I left the shoes off.

Raising the blade up a bit works great on flat surfaces, but this road is on the side of a mountain, with two cross streets where it almost levels out, so keeping the blade at one height doesn't work so well. I tried that the first time this season, and had better luck when I just floated it.

12. MIwinter

MIwinter Member

to bad we couldnt turn our blades upside down.......... or could we fabricate and weld new mounts on the upper portion of it leaving the orginal ones so all you'd have to do it flip it over and undo two bolts on the A-frame and reinstall on upside down top part?????