1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

guys need help with chevy 3500 dump asap before i look at truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by UniqueTouch, Dec 17, 2015.

1. UniqueTouch

UniqueTouch Senior Member

looking to buy this chevy 3500 dump truck its year is 2000. its a dual wheel dump but not 4x4. would i be able to use it to plow snow? or am i gonna have a problem not being able to push it bc it is 4 by 4. need some replies asap if possible thanks guys

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You could spend all day reading threads on this if you were to search. Weight is the key and a good set of snow tires

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I would not say you will not be able to push, but you might run into problems in a deep snow event.

I have plowed in 2wd for years will all of my trucks. It all comes down to proper event/ lot management, good tall skinny tires and correct weight. If you can put enough weight in the bed to get the tires to grab, you should never need 4wd in a typical snow event.

I can only recall a few times that I have ever had to use 4wd exception of blizzard or quick heavy dumps like thunder snow. Those times, 4wd can be necessary.

4. UniqueTouch

need advice on dump that isnt 4x4

can i still plow with a 3500 chevy dump truck diesel motor even if it isnt 4 wheel drive

5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Yes you can.Good tires,a set of chains on hand for just in case,lots of weight in back,a tow strap for when you get stuck.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes. Add weight in the back.and you'll be fine.
    We typically added 1.5_2.0 yards of river rock in them.

7. UniqueTouch

Thank you guys its a chevy 3500 4 cyclinder 6.5 diesel anyone have anything like that

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Never heard of a Chevy 4 cylinder diesel.

You sure won't be pushing much with that.

9. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

GM 6.5 is a 8cly diesel. Not the most popular but okay if you buy it right. Don't pay like it's a duramax.

10. UniqueTouch

Okay thanks he must have wrote wrong info on it, its white new paint whole truck new apolstry , new front end and brake lines, 116,000k 6.5 diesel wants $8000bo

11. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I think 8K is to much, Make sure it's not full of glass under that new paint. That glass will start bleeding though within 2 years. You have no plow yet and it's still 2wd need it or not. What condition is the dump bed in? Auto or stick?

12. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Go to this site www.Auctionsinternational.com Newfane CSD #6770 lot # 0001. This truck needs minor reconditioning has the Powerstroke instead of the 6.5 and is 4x4 only has 32k miles and is set up with the plow.

I don't like older trucks that had new paint you can't see what your really buying. You need to keep looking or if you got your heart set on it offer him 6k and stick to it. I would not give him that.

13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I had a K3500, same year and motor truck but a 4x4.

They are great work horses. They are by no means a powerhouse. 7psi of boost from the turbo... They are slow and steady and if treated right, can make you a lot of money. The fuel savings was very noticeable when plowing along side of my similar equipped duramaxs. 6.5L sip fuel.

Main thing to look at is the PMD (pump mounted driver) this is the biggest problem with these motors. It is the brains of your injection system telling the injectors when to fire. This little f*ing box gave 6.5L's a bad name as the PMD is mounted up in the engine bay and it sees to much heat where it is located. There are tons of re-locate kits that have a heat sink to dissipate heat available for these trucks. THIS IS A MUST. It needs to be moved away from the top of the motor to get air so it does not cook if it is not already relocated.

Also glow plugs are a key item. They are a cheap, like a couple of bucks. They don't like to start well with out them. If your plugs are bad, the truck will be a plug queen requiring you to have it plugged in all the time. They are very simple to change all except the last one on the passenger side. It is behind the exhaust and is a real b*itch. My theory was always that 7 is good enough.

14. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I am just going to throw you a bit of advice. To me it doesn't sound like you have really looked into this enough to be buying a truck. Do your research and decide what you want, whether it be gas diesel 4x4 or whatever. Then research the motors within your budget, and look for that truck.
    Can you plow without 4x4 yes.
    But it depends if your plowing flat lots or driveways or roads. Will it have a spreader in the back to help with weight etc.

15. Mark Oomkes

I'm going out on a limb, but if you don't know that a 6.5 is a V8 you probably shouldn't be buying trucks.

16. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Yep. This. You're gonna get hosed bad.

17. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I'd start by looking for the other half of the engine.

18. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

BahahahaHaha

19. UniqueTouch

Its what he put on craigslist.

20. Mark Oomkes

That wasn't my point.