1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guys in the Northeast I think it is time!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Craftybigdog, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Hey guys I think it is time I have looked at all my sites and it looks like it will just be rain from here on out, I think its time to pu the plow up and start sharpening all me lawnmower blades. If you know of something that I dont please do tell!
  2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Well for the first time in 7 weeks we are getting a plowable snow fall, supposed to get 4-7 inches by midnight. It just started and looks promising!!!!!
  3. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

you know how it is in delaware, we can be in a heat wave one minute and a blizzard the next, im not putting the snow stuff away yet, i wouldnt be suprised if we get to have fun 2 more times this year. however i am starting to think about mowing and blades and all that good stuff.
  4. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping, where do you live in Maine?

Where I live in Maine it hasn't started yet, I hope it starts soon.
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

its the first wk of feb its way early
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The March Nor-Easter being scheduled. I never give up hope till April hits. You still have February to go too, warmer temps can mean bigger snows.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Here in Staten Island our own resident Groundhog at the SI Zoo has pedicted an early spring. Went to the Airport at 2315 hours last night and was home by 1000 hours this morning. .5" snow then rain and 40 degree temp. It don't look good to me!
  8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

well the ground hog in philly says 6 more weeks of winter who knows:dizzy:
  9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Feb is usually our snowiest month im not giving up yet.The long range forecasts i saw yesterday were looking pretty good.
  10. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

We might have more snow on Wednesday of this week coming :D
  11. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

maybe you can start sharpening the lawnmower blades in delaware (which is not the northeast) you guys down there average maybe 1 plowable event in jan than it gets too warm. Winter is far from over infact its only half done. I don't put the plow away until late april we usually get whacked a few times in feb and march and we can get a few good storms in april we got 21" one april 1st. I plowed today before it flipped to rain but there is still plenty of snow on the roads and temps are havering freezing with freezing rain.
  12. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

We had 5" this past Tuesday and it looks like I will be back at it tomorrow with 4-8" predicted. I just looked outside and there is 2" out there now.payup
  13. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

seems as though the guessing was right on with this storm. I had all cleared by 2pm, it changed to ice right after and all was good with the world...we did get a new account from the storm, although he didn't call until we had 1/2" ice on top of the snow and it was like concrete. Got the truck stuck a bit, but all totaled was only a minute hit including driving.
  14. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

Here in central new york we have received over 140 inches of snow this year. Some places just north of us (about a half hour) received 81 inches in 72 hours. This winter has been kicking our butts. No place to put it. I will be surprised if the snow isn't still here in June. This is one of our local weather sites.

15. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

CJA1987 so what is De. considered to you because everyone else that walks in this world calls it the northeast, maybe southeast then?
  16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

While here in central Maine, we've just gotten 40" for the winter (half of average for the year). Last night got 2" with just a crust. Not enough to hit the triggers. Just one customer who wants sanding, so all I can do is wait and see if I get any calls today. So far this winter, I've had two full pushes (should be about ten):( .
  17. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

DE is the Mid-Atlantic
  18. J&M Lawncare

J&M Lawncare Junior Member

Folk lore has it; If you don't get winter in winter, you WILL get winter in Spring!!

Our local weather guy is big on folk lore. Says it's 90% right.
    Seems to be the case.

He said when cicadas start chirping there is 90 days to the first frost. Noted the date and said we'll see. 87 days later we had our first frost.

interesting stuff.
  19. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Spring is a long way off yet. I don't think everybody will get off this easy. Mother nature says pay me now or pay me later. With interest.
  20. 3 GOATS

3 GOATS Junior Member
    from ME

Finally got to plow today here in southern Maine. Last time out was 12/15!