1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guys in the northeast help me out!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Craftybigdog, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Hey guys heres my delima, what kind of a winter do you think we are gonna have this year. The reason Im asking is im trying to decide to buy a plow for my truck. I have a big quad with a 60in blade that works great but it was hard last year with it, only. I live in Deleware and the plow I was gonna put on is the boss 8ft and its 3500.00 installed. The almanac only calls for 3 snows and they are with rain so Im just trying to get your input thanks so much!

2. linguini

linguini Junior Member
    from vermont

well if u are gonna only get three storms all winter u are way ahead of us up north.......we have had one already and it isnt even november yet......my humble opinion if the precipatation continues the way it has this summer we will have lots of snow.......good price on the boss plow, maybe the dealer reads the almanac too:drinkup:

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Take a dart and throw it at the wall. If it sticks, it'll snow a lot. If it doesn't stick, it will snow a little. Probably be as accurate as the weather guessers. Actually, some are predicting above average snowfall for the winter. Just saw something today about El Nino/La Nina. Still wouldn't place a large bet either way.

4. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

the 8ft boss superduty plow for $3500 is about what hteir selling them for down here. if it snows and rains that makes for heavy snow which could make for some hard pushing for the quad. but only mother nature truly knows how much its gonna snow in a season... look on the bright side though if you do get the plow you'll have it year after year and im sure the plow will move more snow faster than the quad can... it basicly all sums up to how much plowing you have to do to make it worth the cost of the plow to the other option of it being harder and taking more time with the quad.

5. Craftybigdog

Thanks alot guys I apreciate it, yeah I dont know yet.

6. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

The forecasts I've seen so far (haven't seen the almanac) do say that the northeast will probably have a normal to near normal winter in terms of snowfall. Your area is a sporadic area in terms of snow anyway so you could go above your average with one good storm? I have seen forecasts that say a slight El Nino might be forming and that the storms in the east have a good chance of running up to the west this year. Meaning more rain than snowfall for the coast. November is supposed to be average in the east for temps and December is when winter might start in full strength.

IMO you probably shouldn't buy a plow and expect to pay it off in the first year anyway. This really is a long haul process and one slow season shouldn't break you.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

as far as wondering what type of winter it will be, your best bet would be to flip a coin..... you can only take the almanacs and forecasts with a grain of salt. good luck with your purchase. i just hope you dont buy planning on paying it off, and then get a light winter and be bummed out. if you buy it, just plan on paying it off in a season or two. good luck.

8. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

It will get dark earlier. It got dark *a lot* earlier today...

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

keep this in mind, the overall weather pattern hasnt changed since last winter. below average temps and above average precip. so unless it changes, i would expect a winter close to last year
    dino

10. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

yep, it will snow this season in the North East... Maybe. :confused:

I just looked at your profile, and you're not even in the North East LOL. Trying to mess up my forecasting accuracy with your thread title, eh? My prediction for the Mid Atlantic:

yep, it might snow this season in the Middle Atlantic States... Maybe. :confused:

11. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Get the plow for the truck. you have the perfect plow truck. all you need is a plow for it and you will be set. It'll be muck warmer plowing in the cab of your truck then on the 4 wheeler. You will also be more productive with the truck.:)

12. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Hey Meyer maybe if he buys a plow for his truck he will sell you the quad and you wont be the PLOWLESS plowsite member anymore. :)

Jay
    pumpkin:

13. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Not true. What if this guy is doing other driveways for business? Then he will need commercial auto insurance, and also commercial general liability insurance. So it is not simple as just hang the plow on the truck. Again, only advices from experienced business person please.

Stephen pumpkin:

14. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Hi.
    An old timer told just today that when you see squirrels with really bushey tails it's gone to be a real cold winter! I noticed myself that they do! I'll just wait an see!
    Naiilit

15. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

yup wxmn6 is correct:nod:

16. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

The Almanac (best guess) says a winter like last year for New York area.A friend of mine who is loves hunting and bieng an outdoorsman say the two ways he can tell are the bushy squirrel tail and the hieght of some bees nests in dead trees.He says they are up at the 6 to 8 foot mark.I cannot say either of these these things are true but,at least it's encouraging to hear for us guys with plows.(at leats if we can get them to work)

17. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Last year with a quad! You got heart!

18. Craftybigdog

Yeah guys I have insurance so thats no big deal! Yeah it was hard to remove snow last year with the quad but I did it and did it well the heated grips and windshield really helped!

19. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

Craftybigdog,

Here is a link to the Snow amounts for Delaware
    UD SNOW TOTALS

If you buy the plow let me know. I am waiting to hear back on 4 more contracts. If I get them all I will be looking for another sub. I have one sub from cheswald that drives up to Newark. I don't pay travel time for you to come up but if your insured and interested let me know. PM me we can talk.

Ray

20. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

buying a plow

Be like nike and just do it! Yea here in De. its a gamble but like the others said its a lot nicer to plow inside a truck than to get bundled up and ride the quad everywhere. I wouldn't expect to pay for it in one season but then again you never know. I bought that spreader 4 yrs ago and thought I made a mistake. I paid for the spreader 3 times over one month later. You know in business you have to spend it to make it. But remember too that your still in the service so your time is limited or iffy right? You just have to take the step and do it. If your gonna be in the business of snow removal then I would think you should get a plow for that truck. Stop babying it and put it to work!! lol.