1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guys, I have a situation on my hands here.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bad Luck, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I hooked the plow up today to service it and my curiosity got the best of me. So I pulled my controller through the window to watch the gap between the front fenders and the doors when I moved the blade up and down. Sure enough, each time I picked it up, or moved it down the fenders moved. My heart sunk. I took my finger and put it over various spots along the gap and continued to move the blade up and down, to my dismay amy eyes weren't lying to me. The whole f'ing clip is shifting. I layed on the ground under the truck, it moved there, on the top by the windshield you can see it plain as day and if you stick your finger in the gap on the bottom just above the rocker it will actually pinch it.

I'm at a friggin' loss here, no idea what to do.
  2. take it back
  3. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Holy crap dude! I would definetly ttake it back too. :realmad: :eek:
  4. not the first time

How old is the truck??? And how long have you been plowing with it??

5. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Thats the problem with crumple zones and manufacturers aiming for the high crash ratings. I replyed on the other site with a solution.
  6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Did your truck ave the plow prep package??? If not it is going to be very hard to get anything out of the dealer/GM... You might consider removing all of the plow stuff replace the lower facia (i.e. make it look like it never had a plow and take it to another dealer and trade it in and cut you losses now before things get worse... I know it seems shady to do this, but you will get more for a trade in if they think it never plowed snow before...
  7. Up North

Up North Senior Member

:eek: uh-oh. That can't be good. Do you remember whacking something really hard or do you think it's caused by the weight of the plow? Isn't that almost a 700lb plow?

Anthony, we need to talk about something here. First you couldn't BUY snow to start last season, then when you finally did get some you plowed into a car, then got a horsecrap paint job, got married, and now this...think we should find you a new screen-name???:confused:

8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Hey Bad,

Put it up on Ebay, you will probably end up selling it for a profit and making out (why not, everybody else does!)...then go buy a new one with the profit you made on the old one that had all the problems. payup

As for Buck's comments , well, post a picture of you wife and your paint job so we can make up our own minds... :drinkup:
  9. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Buck, thanks for the pick me up, you turkey. With the blade on I'm just below my front axle reserve.

04 1500, no plow prep, had it a little over a year. Only one season, about 5 storms. Although it doesn't have the plow prep, that package on the 1500's does not come with any frame braces or such.

I did hit a loading dock last winter, but I don't think hard enough to do anything.

I can't take it back.

I'm thinking my only option is to strip the plow off and sell it. Buy an 06 HD. :nod:
  10. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

You will take a bath selling it as the used market is very weak in terms of sales.
    Have a welder make up a brace and run it under the truck to each frame rail under the middle of the door. Do not weld it on make it a bolt on item like a traction bar used on the rear of a pulling truck. Very cheap to make and install. Sell the truck next year after it's made you some money to offset the low resale.
    One thing you could do before doing anything would be to go to a frame shop and see what they say, maybe something is acually wrong with it besides being a 1/2 ton.
  11. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Always here for ya bud!:drinkup:

Actually I'm bummed for you man, I know how much pride you have in that truck, and rightfully so as you take very good care of it. But, after about 2 minutes in a HD, that pride will shift pretty quickly I bet.

Chop, chop, better get a move on, snow is not far off and I'd hate for you to be sitting up at hOOters watching those big OWL EYES and the snow coming down instead of being out there plowing. On second thought...maybe I should sell my plow. I'd rather be at hOOters I think.

Send pics of the new HD!