1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guys Help Here Michigan ???

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by cobra333, Nov 29, 2006.

1. cobra333

cobra333 Junior Member

I Want To Stay Even With My Guys In Michigan Please Tell Me What We Are Charging .. Iam Not A Rat Or A Low Baller .... F--- That ... Help Here Guys With

What To Charge For Plowing Residential ...... And Commercial Which Way Should I Approach This By Push Or By Inch ... ???? IN MICHIGAN

I Doing This The Right Way By Asking Not A New Guy Just Low Balling ..

2. cobra333

cobra333 Junior Member

Bump This

Bump This For Real Michigan Guys

3. snoking

snoking Senior Member

200 for the season. no sidewalks. plow once every 24 hrs. one return trip to clean end of drive if needed.

4. cobra333

cobra333 Junior Member

THANKS ERIK FOR YOUR HONESTY ...... but no sidewalks ,,,, why

5. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

Thats way to cheap for my blood.
    I have to pay for my truck, plow, insurance, gen liabilty insurance, gas and my time. No way I could live with that little bit of money.

6. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

30 to 35 dollars for a standard subdivision drive here, and 125 an hour for commercials with a basic truck and blade.

Salt is going for 2 times cost applied as I understand it.

200 a season???? In Muskegon? Holy crap. Thats some lowballin there my friend.

7. LLM Ann Arbor

Thats the good price. Not saying youll get the jobs with it though with Mr 200 a season and guys like him lurking and bringing this industry down.

I can tell you this much. The prices are not going up. They are more competitive than ever and going down.

8. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

the guy I replaced from last year was charging $125 per push at my resturants,
    I'm getting $140. it just how you sell yourself. lol and a he77 of a lot of luck.

9. cobra333

cobra333 Junior Member

should i forget sidewalks

should i forget sidewalks and just plow and salt and sand or do i charge more for sidewalks for 30 - 35 dollars michigan HELP HERE MICHIGAN GUYS

10. LLM Ann Arbor

You do what you want and what the client wants, but when I sell snow removal its for a "Complete" job.

My prices include all areas....walks, porches and driveways.

Unless the client wants it done a different way then I accomodate them, and adjust my price if necesaary or possible.

11. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Sell the customer, what they want. But only sell what you are able to do. If they want complete with sidewalks done, then bid accordingly. If not, then drop a couple bucks off it.
    Not sure of how everyone in Michigan does it, as we all do it differently, but to try and stay competitive, maybe do a member search, and see who is in your immediate area, and try to set up with them for help. After all, if everyone in the same market, stays together, it can be prosperous for all.

12. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I don't think anyone can get on the internet and ask what should I charge???

The cost of living varies across the US, just as the cost of plowing - there are so many factors.

There's another post on here suggesting charging $250 for a .2 mile private drive - in my area you'd plow NOTHING at that rate but whatever.

The Mr 200 driveway man, is he wrong?? Have you critics been to Muskegon?? Do you know what the drives look like?? Is he driving right past the place and just considering it extra money??

Look, I do some drives for 275 per year, 10 for 120 per year.. Am I wrong, a lowballer?? All I 'll say is the math works out.

The only residential I'll do is within blocks of a comercial route - I wouldn't offer it period but it's a good way to keep your business name out there and considered paid advertising..................

13. LLM Ann Arbor

Taking into consideration that the average snowfall for Muskegon is 96.1 inches a year Id say yes.

No wait. Id say Hell Yes.

14. snoking

snoking Senior Member

225 drives per night 1 driver, 200 ea. per year...45,000 dollars a year your making money hand over fist, some around me are less aroung 175 per year some are as high as 300....

i simply dont offer shoveling, if they calland ask me to shovel i send them to a buddy of mine, be full service if you want

as far as being told im a lowballer....my profit margins are the same as yours, i can just get ot down twice as fast with less equipment. for example my 1/2 ton truck has a 9' front board not a 7.5 so it covers more area right away, 1 tons with 17 foot backbades...2 one tons can do a superwalmart in 45 mins with 3 inches of snow....:gunsfiring: thats gettin it done

the person had a good question be cause hes starting out, i told him what works for me and now ive said why, why dont you try to help him out, so that maybe he will do well enough to help some one else, instead of bashing soem one you dont even know....free enterprise...its a b''''' :drinkup: :drinkup: :yow!:

15. LLM Ann Arbor

Hey if you want to plow 96 inches of snow for 200 bucks you can have it.

Im glad you dont live around me with those prices, and that kind of work.

And if you didn't notice. The kid decided to give his accounts away, and not be in this business.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=328396#post328396

And do you really expect me to believe you do 225 drives a night by yourself? If you worked 24 hours straight thats one drive every six minutes.

12 hours is one drive every three minutes.

With No stopping.

lol....right.

I may have been born at night, but I wasn't born Last night.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  16. snoking

snoking Senior Member

how long does it take to plow a drive??....

17. LLM Ann Arbor

Not to sound too critical, but to do a good job? Longer than you can afford to spend on it, and I understand Muskegon isnt a terribly wealthy area, especially the heights, but your prices, while in line with your competition or there abouts make glad I'm not from Muskegon.

18. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I didn't have to dig to deep for an example, couple nites ago, 4-6" of lake effect snow, one driver in 75 minutes billed $180 - no one should look at a driveway = $35 - oh and there isn't any slop there.

In Muskegon, you could do a drive in 5 minutes including drive time all freakin night - set up with a back blade and maybe knock even more time off. I don't think their street lights go blinking or it'd be even faster.............

To me, it's all about the route, if I'm driving right past your place, hell yea I'll plow it for 15 bucks (if it's a city straight drive) - I'll get it done in just a bit more time than someone sits at a traffic light.

Another thing, all driveways ain't the same, straight 50 to 80 foot long by 12 foot wide drives for $35 in this area and you'd starve. Those type drives are done in two minutes and you're movin on..........................

I gotta go to work and spread some salt, I'm soooooo money needy from the few "cheap" drives I do..................

19. LLM Ann Arbor

Sounds like a fast food business to me. Ill stick to the 40/50 dollar jobs that take ten minutes thanks.

20. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

LLM - No offense, but you have how many accounts??? Oh yea, you sub for someone too............... You must have loads of them 40-50/ten minute deals LOL

Let's take into account to, you plow what ten times per year?? By tomorrow afternoon, we'll have done half your season............

Do this for a period of time and get back with me...........

Workin for someone for 25 years gives you the impression you have it all, start payin the bills and you'll really see the light...............