1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guys doing per push and per inch pricing, HOW THE HECK DO YOU PUSH THAT WAY?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by trqjnky, Oct 14, 2011.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

OK, its driving me nuts. the whole price per push/per inch with 1-3,2-5,5-7 etc price scales.

HOW DO YOU PUSH? BILL THIS METHOD? if its a 6 inch snow, you bill them the 6" price for the whole storm? do you sit on your couch untill every storm is over then go push? i know if i have a 6 inch storm, im out there at 2" or more in time to clear the lot for the business to open and then every 2-4" after that. or for apartments, im clearing it before tenants leave for work and before they come home (i.e. 7am and 4pm). so how would you bill that? as two different 3" pushes (if there was 3" on the ground each time you pushed) or as one 6" push?

EXPLAIN THIS TO ME SO I CAN SLEEP IN PEACE!!!!!!!!

2. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

I don't get it either. Seems complicated and prone to disagreement with the customer.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Some places will pay per storm, so 8 inch snow and you plow it 3 times they still only want to pay for 1 8 inch storm. I don't like the inch plowing thing either. If you bill different rates for the same storm they will want to know what's going on.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How do you bill by the push If the customer decides he wants you to wait to the storm is over so he only has to pay for one push regardless of amount? Then regardless of snowfall he pays the same thing:confused:

5. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

you give that account to the hacks in the half ton chevys and let them beat the piss outta their equipment. if you have over 4" coming, its gonna get pushed 2 times. because im not beating on my equipment to move massive amounts of snow at once.

6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

It's really not that difficult.

If you have a per push contract. You bill what you plow. 1-4, 4-8, 8+ whatever is on the ground when you plow, thats what you charge.

If 7'' falls, and you push 5'' one time, and 2'' the next time, you bill your 4-8, and your 1-4.

If you have a per storm contract. You bill for the total snowfall. 1-4, 4-8, 8+ whatever falls in the 24hr period, thats what you charge regardless of how many times you plow it.

If you have a per season contract, You bill the same thing regardless.

If you have a per hour contract, you probably don't know what you're doing.

7. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

THERES A LOT OF GUYS THAT HAVE BEEN PLOWING SNOW FOR DECADES, SOME OF THEM ON THIS SITE. THAT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. THIS STATEMENT ANNOYS THE HELL OUTTA ME. I HAVE 2 COMMERCIAL PROPERTIES I BID BY THE HOUR, WHY??? BECAUSE THATS WHAT THEY WANT. THEY LAUGH AT THE GUYS BIDDING ANY OTHER WAY. DUNNO WHY, BUT THEY DO.

I see what your saying though. i dont totally disagree. but thats a broad statement. like everyone from wisconsin is a douschebag cheesehead. when theres plenty of them that are smart enough to be bears fans..........

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  8. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

well, i guess, you must just wait as long as possible to get the highest pay scale push. that seems like it would open up a lot of "youre ripping me off, there wasnt that much snow on the ground" arguments with the person you are plowing for. and what if one section of the lot has 3 inches, and the snows drifted up to 7 inches on the other end of the lot? do you break it down into sections? :laughing:

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That's were you send the trucks with 6'6"inch blades.

10. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

no, i send the craftsman mowers with grain shovels duct taped to the front to those properties!payuppayuppayup

lol. i dont own anything with a blade smaller than 9 ft, i should buy something for hourly lots. a s10 pickup with a 4 wheeler blade! ill be rich!:laughing:

11. Longae29

.....and my grandma to drive the truck.

12. Longae29

we dont get the argument we over billed. our area managers will take sample measurements in a geographic region. its not an exact science when its very windy, but you know if theres an inch that fell, or if 7 inches fell.

13. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

As Longae stated its not really that hard at all... once you figure it out you'll never do hourly again...theres more $ to be made in per push or per event......Its simple, do as your contract states... If your suppose to push every 3 inches and it takes you an hour to push those 3 inches you'd bill them your hourly rate...ie you charge $100 per hour for your truck , on a 1-3 inch storm it'll take you an hour so you'd charge $100 (or if your bidding 1-3=$100, 3-6=$200, ect......, on a 3-6 inch event say it will take you 2 hours so your bid for that bracket would be $200, EVERYTHING COMES DOWN TO YOUR HOURLY RATE.....
    now where you can start to make some good $ is by having the proper equipment in the right places....say on this same lot you have a skid as opposed to a truck, that skid will, generally speaking, get twice as much done as a truck so in essence you'd be making twice as much $ per hour
    And the overbilling part is a mute point IF YOU HAVE IN YOUR CONTRACT WHERE OR WHAT SERVICE YOUR MEASUREMENT ARE TO COME FROM....... Its all about the contract....

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You simply have a agreed source for accumulation amounts.

As for drifting the snow had to come from somewhere. If drifting is an issue there is a product called snow fence. 3 inches in one end 7 inches in the other was probably a 4 or 5 inch storm. Drifting snow had to come from someplace. If the wind want to do part of my push so be it.

How many hours does it take to push 5"of snow vs 3" of snow?

DELDOT civic association reimbursement program will not reimburse hourly or seasonal contracts only by inch contracts.

Why would anyone doing hourly buy anything larger then 7"6" plow? Would make no sense to me to work on hourly rate and spend extra money to buy equipment to shorten the amount of time it takes to perform a job.

15. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

its the same as why you charge different rates per inch.. i have a 9 ft plow with wings, im 11 feet wide. so i have it figured that my productivity is x amount faster, so i add that x amount onto my billing. i get paid for hours i dont plow. just because i have better equipment than a guy in a half ton truck with a 7'6" plow and can do the lot in 2 hours instead of 4, doesnt mean you only get charged 2. you still get charged 4, but im only there 2 hours since i have invested in better equipment. same as you, better equipment faster finish, you get paid for hours you dont plow.

really, all different sorts of bidding/charging work out to the same amount if you are doing it right. i know because i have been comparing my properties with the amount of snow last year, and making bids for them with per push, per inch, and comparing them with the hourly bids. ends up being within a couple bucks of each other.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So it's really not an hourly rate, it's a flat rate presented as hourly billing. What do you do if the customer is on site while you plow or checks on you though video and knows how long you were there and questions your billing?

17. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

Thats a good way of putting it.

and they all know, that my hourly rate is based off of a truck with a 7.5 foot straight blade. and the hours wont match up if they want to watch that close.

BUT, THANKFULLY, people have better things to do. and trust me

what it all comes down to, is when they get the bill for the storm, its a fair amount. they could give 2 shits less about how i came about figuring it out. heck, i might even develope a new method. call it the hippo method. beings as iowa has a lot of fatties, ill just count how many hippos i see walking by, and develope an average of hippos per hour of plowing. and submit my bills that way...

14 hippos spotted, 460 dollars for todays push.:drinkup:
    each push is 460 dollars, so 460 for todays push
    75/hr for 7.5 blade,took 6.1 hrs thatll be 457
    i was there for 3.8 hrs with my 11ft blade at 120/hr, 456 for todays push.
    i charge 230 per push for up to 4", i pushed 2 4" depths, so 460 dollars for today..

as long as its the right price, doesnt matter how ya get there. just get there.

the thing is, with all the tards working for 40/hr out there, if you put 120 an hour, the person doesnt understand you are faster with your equipment than they are. so they just think youll be expensive. but if you put 75 down, and adjust for your increased productivity, they think your cheaper, the bill is the same. all is well, everyones happy.

18. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Its really about the property trusting you on your snow total numbers. I have a few commercials that want a per push rate, They are too scared to do a seasonal because they feel they might lose money if it doesn't snow. And i get paid to do nothing, I always try and tell them, but on the other had it might snow everyday and the contractor takes the hit. They are usually the ones who are all about their numbers.

19. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Sometimes I wonder why I try and help..........:rolleyes:

20. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

For reference one of my commercial lots is broken up like this. I tried to make it simple with just 3 price increases so it wasn't a nightmare trying to figure it all out.

0-3 Inches $300.00+tax.
    4-8 inches $400.00+tax.
    9-15inches $600.00+tax.
    15+ inches is an additional $40.00 per inch.
    Just sand lots/sidewalks $175.00+tax
    Tractor work $75.00 Per hour+tax