1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guy tried plowing for free!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by progmc, Dec 21, 2004.

1. progmc

progmc Member

Today was our second snow of the year so far, I did my gas stations this morning then started on my driveways. All done but one more to go. I called the guy because it was right on the boarderline to plow or not to plow. He said he wanted it plowed but there was a cord running across it to some christmas lights and he said he would be there in a few. I needed gas so I stopped across the road to fill up. Came back out to my truck and looked across the road and theres a guy plowing the drive way. :yow!: So I go over there pull along the road, get out and went and asked him what he was doing plowing my account? He didnt say anything. Then I told him about the cords in the drive way. Sure enough he ripped them in half and the one end was still plugged in with bare wires stuck in a snow bank. Told the guy that I was hired to do this drive way and didnt appreciate him doing it for free. The guy got in his truck and left. I then finished the drive way. Then I got to explain to the home owner what happend. What would you do about something like this if it happend to you?

2. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Spit in the the guy who ripped those wire's up's face

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds Professional :rolleyes:

Did the owner tell this guy to plow or did he just do it? I would explain to the owner what happened and try to figure out why the other guy was plowing it.

4. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Chris, just because I disagree with you, you don't have to be mean to me :cry: :p hehe

5. progmc

progmc Member

Well the owner was understanding and for the guy as far as I know he just showed up. Last year I went to plow it a couple times and it was done. The home owner was at work and they thought I did it. They didnt know either. Mabe I wont have this happen any more now that I talked to the guy.

6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

maybe he is a friend or relative?

7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

It may have been the guy that plowed it the year before and just assumed he was doing the account again this year. I have had this happen a couple of times to me in the past. Or he had the wrong address. I had a Toys R Us store that a guy had started plowing before I got there one night. I told him it was my account. He disareed and continued to plow it. Next snow he had it all done again before I got there. On third time I told him again. Finally after he had plowed it four times I called the store manager, he said he was fired the year before and long story short, I got paid and the other guy didnt.

8. progmc

progmc Member

Well Ive plowed this drive for the last 3 years now. so that cant be it. Think hes just a guy trying to be nice or something.

9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

In a situation like that, to be a professional about it and not spitting on him, there's nothing you really can do. Maybe get his plate number for future reference just in case.

10. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I plowed my cousin's house 3 times before I told him, he had no clue who cleared it, I just assumed he knew I had a plow and did it for him

it might be a friend or someone the guy knows

or maybe he is just insane

11. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

LOL, I was not even disagreeing with you, its just not the professional way to do it and we are all professionals right. :waving:

12. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Let him keep plowing it and you keep collecting the check. He doesn't even know he's a sub! LOL! :D

Like Boss said, get a license # and vehicle description and pass it on to the homeowner. Really not much you can do, other then trespassing he's not breaking any other laws I don't think.

Buck

13. Runner

Runner Senior Member

This is pretty funny, because this has happened to me not once, but twice thiws season. Only I was the other guy plowing. Scenario one. There is a mortgage company that I used to mow and care for a few years ago for quite a few years. Well, then the granson gets started with a lawn service. Needless to say, I'm out. I have been invited back a few times, but have not yet taken up on it. Now, there is a stepson (also new to lawncare) of one of the managers doing it. I do the residential right next door, and noticed that no fall cleanup had been done. I inquired about it and asked the one manager (her and I are like friends now) why her place looks like that. I gave the other manager a price, and she it sounded ok, but she wanted to first call her lawn guy and ask him what the deal was - why it has sat like that for over a month. At this time, I also inquired about the snow. She said her guy (lawnguy) left snow around, she had to go out and do the front walk and area a few times herself. She asked me for a price. I gave her a quote, and a salt price and she said it sounded good. I said Ok,..you can count on it, then.
    Well, I plowed once......and about a week later, I plowed again. #rd time came around and it was done. I called to ask what was going on, and the one manager (owner's daughter - the one that's a friend) said she had no idea, and didn't know that I didn't plow it. She would ask the other gal when that other gal got into work. Well, the other one called back and said she was going to give the stepson another try. I said no problem. I did notice that he had snow piled up against the wall in the front parking area that will do the melt/refreeze thing right where people park and get in and out of their cars. Also, the strip along the length of the builing wasn't trimmed and cleaned (walkway). I go by there now, and it's froze over with a glaze of ice. I don't know if I should re-inquire when I take my bill to them or not.
    Second scenario. I get a call by the pastor of a church that has his church right next door to a church that I've done for several years. He wants the mowing done for the season. No problem, fair price, he said go for it. He also wants me to do the snow (this was talked about in the spring). Fine...agreed.
    Well, the other night, I ran into one of the members at a restaurant who asked me about the plowing - if I had done it. I said. "Yes sir - twice." "Oh." He said. "Because we have a guy that did it, and he said that he didn't do it..."
    I told him that I had discussed it with the pastor back at the beginning of the season, and he said he just wanted me to do it, since I was already there. The member then said. "Well, he's gere. he's right back in the banquet room if you'd like to talk to him." I said. Sure, send him out if he'd like to come out and talk to me, and if it's not too much of an inconvenience to him." (Mind you, - I have never met this man before, so I didn't even know what he looked like. I only spoke to him on the phone). After a nice conversation, we got onto the plowing, and I asked him. He said. "Yes, their plow guy was wondering if he was out of the job or what...he was at one of out breakfasts and had asked about it." Then the pastor also said. "I'm afraid that I may have spoke out of turn to just tell you to go ahead and do that, because it's really not just my decision. There are other people involved who make those decisions." I said I was sorry, and that it was ok, I understand, and that the other guy can do it...I don't want to step on anyone's toes.
    So, there are two accounts that waffled out on me, and I was "plowing out of place", apparently. Sorry for the long post. :)

14. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

Always carry a camera.

15. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

Years ago ... I had a Chinese Resteraunt account.

One morning I show up to plow and theres some dude in a FORD RANGER ... the small kind with a 5 ft blade.....plowing in circles like amadman.

I drove up to the guy and said " Hey ..... whatya doin ? "

He seemed to get all pissed .. and asked me If I knew who he was .
    I said " No "

I calmly told him that the lot was my account ..he didnt care and acted like some disgruntled cop .

I parked at the top of the lot and watched him plow in circles for about 30 minutes.

After he left... I cleaned up his mess and billed the customer as usual.

We all know that some guys act like cowboys and plow everyone they know for free when they get thier first snowplow- until they realize its actually work and costs money to maintain a plow truck - then they come back down to reality and smarten up.

16. drplow

drplow Senior Member

i added two accounts to my list last week and when it was time to plow i went there and they were both done the night before. i asked the home owner whats going on and he said some nut from up the street plowed all the neighbors driveways. well, with a contract already in hand i told him that i just plow over other persons job and that he is billed for time. meaning he gets a 8 minute spot and if he does it himself or anyone else does it the time slot is already sold to him and his neighbor and it is sold to him at 4" or more of snow fall. most people know that plowing is a business but they all don't understand the ways that they can get billed are like this so that we could make a profit every season. :nod: