1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guy said the plow was "new"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cjasonbr, Aug 17, 2006.

1. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

So i went to pick up a Fisher 8' MM2 HD from some guy 2 hours away. In communications he said the plow was a "brand new" plow from 2005 and he wanted $2600 for it. I figured he got it from some guy that bought it with a truck and it was a good deal. Anyways, i get there to look at it and the blade is obviously used, however the paint looks to be in A+ if not better condition, however it wa smissing the fisher symbol on it (he said that sometimes the fisher's don't come with the symbol). So i figured that even if it was lightly used it's steal a good deal and loaded it up. He says that when i get home i might have some fluid on the back of the plow as it was blade-down. He said that fishers did this when turned on their sides like that. He said it was an overflow safety or something. Anyways i get home and there's a few drops of fluid on the back of the blade and the frame had shifted to the side- as it used to be straight up.I also realized that there were no shoes on it (Crap!). I also noticed that one of the bolts was missing that hold the blade on. I'm going to swing by the dealership tomorrow but i figured i see what you guys thought tonight..... did i get swindled? Is this a used plow that was repainted?:confused:

2. Theo Epstein

Theo Epstein Member

I would guess that it might be a plow that was used on a truck dealer lot (obviously not very often this past winter), and then possibly stolen out of the back of the pickup bed when they removed it this spring. $2600.00 is a very good price.

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

$2600 is a good price even for a used plow. Some Fishers on new truck lots do not have the decal. The new decals just get scrubbed off anyway. I would sya that you got swindled as in it was not a new plow, but you got a very good deal the same. No matter if someone want the plow or not, they will not sell it for $2000 less than it is worth if it is brand new. Hope you have good luck with it and there is plenty of snow around here this winter for it!

4. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Just curious, being from MA, who and where is that dealer. Obviously not a brand new plow, but a great price. As long as the cutting edge is good and the trip edge is fully finctional, thats what hits the ground. The fisher logo doesnt xysport

5. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

well i just got back from the local dealer and he said i got a good deal. I was under the impression that the decal was under the clear coat or whatever, so that's why i was worried. Anyways - thanks for the input!

6. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

yup, the dealer said that it had maybe been plowed with a couple times... no biggey. It was an off-truck plow so i didn't get the mounting stuff etc - i already had it anyways. I got it from some dude in Ipswich... Brian was his name.. he had like 15 fishers around his house, he said it was like his "hobby". Anyways, a score for 2600.... thanks again for the insight

7. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

well i just got back from the local dealer and he said i got a good deal. I was under the impression that the decal was under the clear coat or whatever, so that's why i was worried. Anyways - thanks for the input!

8. DeereFarmer

I bought my truck and plow set up from Brian up in Ipswich. He is a good guy. I have not had a problem with the truck or plow. Price was a tad high for a '93, but I knew that when I bought it. You get what you pay for. No rust, no scratches, never been plowed truck with a good minute mount. A little paint and a decal looked as god as new. Don't worry about your plow. After a use it does not look new anymore.

9. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

That's why i was so miffed when he said it was "brand new" - and i get there and it obviously wasn't.

10. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I wouldnt worry too much about not having the shoes on it, you will probably end up taking them off anyways.

11. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Well, on my 8' Boss SD i put the shoes all the way up... i like leavin' em on, and it seems to do a top notch job regardless... maybe because they're not functional in that position anyways...

12. DeereFarmer

But you bought it anyways right? I don't really get what you are complaining about. I am not trying to be an ediot or anything, but you saw the plow when you bought it right? Could you tell that it was not brand new then?

13. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

It's very, very, simple. I drive 2 hours - one way - to purchase "brand new" plow. Get there and plow is in good shape but obviously not brand new. He was dishonest about the condition. Yes i realized that it was used when i got there - and yes i bought it anyways because i needed a plow and it was a fair price for the condition. What he did is a ploy..... it's called the ol' "bait and switch". Advertise one thing and when the person gets there it's not as advertised. Since the person is already there they are more inclined than they would have been to purchase the product/service..........

14. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Gez plow missing bolt and no sticker but half price some wear on the cutting edge guess iam missing something ..

15. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

You're missing more than "something" if you think a new 2005 fisher is $5200 minus install and push plate.

16. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I hear ya.. First off I don't belive the logo is a decal, it's painted on. I believe the blade was painted to make it look better. I have never had one wear off, worn a little, but not worn off. Second- Mine never leaked a drop if fluid so I would check that out good before it's snowing and you find a cracked hose or a leaky fitting.

It's sad, but a fact, a lot of guys will call somthing brand new when I would call it beat to sh-t. That just the way some people are.

If the blade is in good shape for that kind money, you still did good.

17. DeereFarmer

I hear where you are coming from. I get what you mean, at first I guess I really didn't understand. The logo is usally a decal, I am pretty sure on that one. Atleast, that is what mine is. It still looks brand new after a full season of plowing, so it would be hard to just rub it off with a push or two. I have seen honest top god brand new plows at Ford dealerships that did not have a logo on. I aksed the dealer why they didn't have a logo and I didn't really get a straight forward answer. They said for $20 more they would put on one. So I don't get that part.

18. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Perhaps the previous owner didn't like the sticker and peeled it off.... who knows. As for the dealer installing the plow - i think he probably meant, that for $20, he would attach the plow to a push plate already welded to a truck - essentially the same thing all of us with 'minute mount' type devices do every time before a snow. I have never heard of any dealers having an in-house welder, as far as i know most dealerships outsource the installation of plows. Last time i had a plow installed (last year) it cost a little of $300.

19. DeereFarmer

No, no, no, he said for $20 he'd put a decal on the plow. I doubt any delaers have inhouse welders these days, but there are a few places around that install the plows at the dealership like Chapdelaine in Lunenburg, JC Madigan in Harvard, and Tucks Trucks in Hudson.

20. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

For a while their emblems sucked!!!! Just using them lightly was enough to wear them off. I had a 9 ft MC series that we bought new and after the first few storms the emblem was gone yet the powder coat finish was flawless!!!

It used to be that the emblem would be the longest lasting spot of paint on the things!