1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guy Complaining About Cost Of Sand/Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ksgcapecod, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ksgcapecod

ksgcapecod Member

I plow the pictured lot and today I get a message on my voice mail that the cost of the sanding/salting of the lot is killing him. He was nice about it so far on the answering machine. I sent him all the paperwork when he bought the building and he called me and asked if we were all set for the winter. I said all set we are ready to service you. He knew all the costs up front. Now last year we only had three plowable events and the owner refused sand/salt. He would send kids out with ice melt since it was a hardware store. This year we have plowed the lot five times and sanded/salted close to ten times. I'm sure when he bought the place he looked at last years cost of snow removal and said to himself that's not bad. My question to you guys is what would be reasonable to sand/salt this lot. The company I sub it to uses the same stuff that the state highway dept. uses since they do that as well and are only 3/4 mile away. They do an excellent job. The lot is approx. 68,750 sq. feet.

plaza.jpg

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Unfortunatley in this economy I feel this situation is going to be the norm for all smaller size businesses. I have run into this with two of my lots this year as well. The companies aren't making enough to justify the cost of salting the entire lot. My soulution is as follows. I get the business to sign a release of liability, and I only salt by the doors. Anything else they either call me for more salt, or they go without. I have a feeling this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

3. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

What's that use, about one ton of salt, maybe a bit less?

I'd say 170-200 for salt, at least here in MI. Can I ask what you're currently charging?

4. ksgcapecod

ksgcapecod Member

He's getting getting charged $280. It seems a bit high to me. I have it subbed out because I do not own a sander and I am not making much as the middle man. I am going to try and talk to the company that I have it subbed out to first and see if they can do a little better. I'd like to hear from some other MA companies or other guys that would charge close to the same for the same size lot. This company that does the sanding is reputable but they do have somewhat of a monopoly in the area so to speak.

5. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I would charge about 180-200 for salting that lot. Just tell the sub to do it lightly and use half the amount. Salt the front row heavier than the back and charge them accordingly.

6. TRKling

TRKling Member

Salt the roadway (isles) and let the cars carry the salt/sand around in the lot. Between the heat from the cars parking and traffic, it will keep the ice build-up down.

You might be able to reduce the cost by half doing that - meets the objective of keeping it safe (respectfully), but contains some of the cost.

7. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

ask him if he wants calcium spreaded:p