1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guy caught plowing one of my lots....for free!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

A friend of mine was driving by one lot we do, its one of three local chain stores we do. He says "hey do you have anyone plowing xyz lot?" I said no, it didn't snow at all in the past couple days. Long story short there's some guy in there plowing. I called the store owner and he says "to be honest with you, there's been a couple guys who really want this account and he comes in here and plow's it when he thinks it needs it" WHAT!!! A) there's no snow on the lot, B) its our contract. The owner has no idea who it is (yeah right) but says well its good for both of us.......its good for you but how is it good for us? So I talk to the main owner and he says just get his license plate number bla, bla and acts like its no big deal. I said to him I cant even believe I'm having this coversation, what if he hits something or someone you are you guys going to blame.....ME! I also said not to mention just the fact these are our accounts. I have never heard of anything like this what an idiot! I could see if they were trying something they fixed but plowing someone elses lot )with zero snow on it) and for free. Nothing adds up. Follow up call tomorrow.

2. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

Get the prop owner to agree that the gentleman in question is "trespessing" and then catch the guy there doing it again and call the cops and approach him. Tell him he is trespessing and the cops are on the way, express the owners wishes for the lot to be plowed ONLY by your company. When the police arrive make sure they understand the property owner does not want this guy plowing and to be warned off the property and will be charged if found doing it again.

I say this because you are correct in thinking that if this guy screws up anything you may to be at blame... if the property owner will not agree then maybe a little "get the he!! off your contract" 'talk'!

3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Is that Lower than Lowballing....:confused:............i will call it Freeballing.....:nono:

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Maybe he's just pre-plowing for you :jester:

5. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

Two years ago I got a new commercial grass account and some guy was cutting it. He cut it 2 times before I could tell him he didn't have that account any more.

6. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

I would express to the owners that he is NOT affiliated with your company and record the conversation or do it in email so you have records of it. Now your in a better position if anything should occur. Now just let him plow his little heart out until hes content. Gotta love idiots!!!!

7. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I have had people plow my lots with snow in them by accident, but no snow and doing it? Are they trying to show they can get closer to the pavement than you?

8. Matson Snow

Did a Pre-salt follow the Pre-plow?????....:rolleyes:....:confused:

9. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Sounds to me like you lost an account. Everyone who controls the property is giving you not so straight answers. Good luck with situation I hope it works out in your favor.

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I think freeballing means something else. :jester:

11. Matson Snow

:laughing::laughing:....It has Many Meanings....

12. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

I wonder if he'll actually send them a bill for the plowings???

13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Brian you should send him a bill for "management" services. I can see the new national management company now. BYM. :drinkup:

14. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

.....He's obviously plowing something.?.?.?

15. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

This happened to me last year on a private road, but there was snow.. lol The guy was looking for a lot of bids during the summer and he signed more than one contract. He signed someone elses contract first, which i did not know about, and then he signed mine saying he wanted me to do it. After the first storm the other guy showed up while i was halfway done plowing it and asked what i was doing. I told him that i had a signed contract from this guy, but yet so did the other guy. My price was 5 more per push and he went with me because the other guy had a bad reputation. It was very aggravating until it was all taken care of

16. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i would immediately go to the owner's office, "i hope you took pics of the property before you started this fall"....and insist he sign a damage to property disclaimer. all you need is to fix a bunch of curbs/landscaping this spring not caused by you

17. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Well, like I said, I'm doing a follow up call tomorrow. I went to the two other stores and both owner's said no problems at all with the plowing. We've been doing them for years now, just doesn't add up.

18. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Dealing with something similar here myself. Getting old real quick. I have even talked to the contractor 3 times on the phone.Good Luck I hope it all works out for you.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Kinda thinking the same thing.....

20. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Had the same thing, i got paid for the other guys work all winter. I never saw him do it, he did a great job to. I was hire by the owner of the building and the think the tenet hire the guy. I got paid every month and never herd anything about it.