1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guide poles

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bigdoghd, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Bigdoghd

Bigdoghd Member

Ok this has happened a few times that I have hit something in that pavement and the plow snaps and the guide pole snaps right off? I'd imagine they make spring loaded ones?

2. paponte

paponte Senior Member

We actually got to the point, we buy the big orange plastic ones with the black caps. We cut the mounting brackets off, weld rebar to the plow and slide the plactic over the rebar. Besides the occasional straightening out, they hold up well.

3. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

YES, they do make spring loadad one's, don't think I like the idea of the rebar one myself.

4. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

The next obvious question is where do you get the ones with springs???

5. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Can't say I've ever heard of this before. You're saying that when you plow trips it smacks the ground so hard that your plow marker poles snap off?

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I bought the Western guides with the springs and put them on the BOSS. Been doing it for years for that very same reason.
    It was probably half cracked already when it tripped on you and broke.

Since I have started using the Western ones with flags I have yet to replace except when worn now.

7. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I think I saw them at northern tool, the package said western plows but should fit any plow with new holes drilled.
    also make sure they are mounted on the back side of the plow so when the plow trips the most that can hit the ground is the tips of the poles

8. NAHA

NAHA Senior Member

ive seen the spring plow guides at lowes in mass

9. Kimo Bublitz

Kimo Bublitz Junior Member
    from 98584

I know Snoquip.com of California has the best guide poles out there.
    They have woven steel wire inside that bend and flex so the UV plastic can't break.
    We use some with springs, but solid mounts holding up fine too. All stainless hardware came with them.
    Ask for Bill Campbell. He knows plow guide poles inside out. Good stock last time I was there.
    bill@snoquip.com

10. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

it got so cold last winter I went to straighten a plow marker out for one of the drivers and the thing broke right off!

11. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I can't see this happening to a set of Meyer markers. I have them and they are made from cable and then coated with plastic. There's no way they will snap off when the plow trips. You must have found ones made out of some type of glass. LOL Also, know where manhole covers are at and other objects that can cause the plow to trip when plowing and avoid hitting them!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  12. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

I buy the plastic orange ones with the blackcaps. Cut the mount off. Slide it over my OEM guide with silcone inside so it wont come of. Never broke one since.

13. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

By the time they break off, I pretty much know where my plow is at.lol

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Today I bought 3 sets from O'Reilly Store
    They have the wire woven in them $19.99 each set