1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guide on getting started

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Kunker, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Kunker

Kunker Member

Hey Guys,

I'm pretty new to the site, and new to plowing in general. I have some questions on how best to get into the industry, how to look for sub work, what to expect for hours, and all of the wonderful stuff that comes with this life. Is there a lot of ATV work out there, or is it mostly truck and equipment? I'm asking in general, I know it'll depend lots on the area and I'm already thinking more truck work in my rural setting.

I'd be looking at working next season at the absolute earliest, but I just want to get a feel from some pros on what it's like, and whether or not to bother. The reason I'm looking is due to the substandard service I've had from my latest plow guy...because of this, I'm thinking of plowing my own place at least as a start but if I spend the $$$ on the plow, why not try to make some $$$ back.

Any advice or pointers to some good threads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!
    Kevin

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My advice - find some bigger company you can operate their plowtruck this winter. Expect long hours on short notice. By next March, many of your questions will be answered.

3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Mick said it all