1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guests ?

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by wyldman, Jul 10, 2003.

1. wyldman

wyldman Member

When browsing who's online,it will show quite a few guests,who are editing posts,quoting posts,moderating duties ??,etc.

I didn't think guests could do any of that unless they registered.Is this a software glitch or something ?

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Wyldman,
    As far as I know ( not sure) no guest can post, no NON-Moderator can edit any posts.

Rick

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

So any ideas why they show up doing all kinds of stuff ? I posted a shot below.Just curious as to why.

guest.jpg

4. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I just looked at that myself and saw four gusets looking at the FAQ list :confused: Been like this for a while now , kinda strange....:dizzy:

5. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Wow!! I never knew you could do that (see who is doing what on the site, that is.) I figured it out though. That's a good question about guests doing all those things. My understanding was the same as Wyldman's.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Maybe they are what slows the server down,as sometimes it shows quite a few guests on the board,like 30+.

Maybe it's hackers...or ghosts :p

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

This has been noticed and discussed by the moderators. It is actually a search engine scanning the site. When it says they are doing one of the actions they are actually only scanning over that option on the page. They have been scanning for a few days now. If you have any more questions ask Chuck he knows more about it.

The ability to see who is doing what on the site has been around for quite a while. If you check often and look at the IP addreses you will notice that we sometimes are visited by manufacturers and dealers that are still guests.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well that explains it.Hope these search engines will bring more traffic (good traffic I hope) to the site.

Thanks

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have noticed that if you do a search on google or yahoo or other major search engines not only does plowsite come up but so will many posts in some cases. Just shows you the exposire the site gets. Literally anyone can stumble across Plowsite on the internet.

10. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Yes, the Inktomi search engine has been indexing PS for a few days now. It is much more aggressive that Google, as Google has been here many times recently, but no where near as aggressive as Inktomi. Alexa, and Overture have been here recently too, but again, not as aggressive as Inktomi.

As far as IP addresses in the Who's Online (or anywhere on this site) only Moderators and Administrators can see IP addresses.

Thanks for noticing the invasion guys.

~Chuck

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Thanks for the update Chuck.I didn't realize how much goes on in the background here at Plowsite.

12. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I've run my Plowsite name (Arc Burn) thru a couple search engines and had it turn up with threads from this site.