1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guessing At Parking Lot Bid

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by drh76, Sep 22, 2009.

1. drh76

drh76 Junior Member

I have a client that I do landscaping for, he moved to a new building with a sixty car, 15,000sq.ft. lot. He asked me to give him a price to plow. Having only done drives in past. A lot of them have been apartments on monthly bids. I have known this guy for a long time and he will go with what I say, a little hagaling aside. I realized I am just guessing at the price I came up with. I don't want to hose myself or the guy.
    Is there a general range for lot sq. ft. ? Shape is pretty basic. Snow average 60in.

2. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

If you've know the guy for a long time, geez I'd say it wouldn't matter LOL.
    ok...figure one acre takes 45min -1 hour > your scope:15 minute job.
    whats your equipment worth? that said... I think it's worth $100.00 for up to 3"

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ask him what he's been paying. If it sounds reasonable, match it.

4. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

i would bid it at like $120 to plow and 40 to salt

5. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Better charge more for salt because charging that amount wont even cover your time out there. Normally we charge more for sand-salting then we do for plowing. Dont low ball yourself !

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Price it to make mony.
    It all depends on your operating costs and what snowplowing in your area is paying.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Very good advice.

8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

>They are a long term client. Make sure that they know they will be a reference as is needed.
    >Provide a price which is fair. With out a pict I can't say how complicated your lot is but, something like that is getting low balled as low as $60 around here, fair market is about 80-105. You might be around 90 for 1-3, then 30 for every 30 there after. You know what they are use to for landscaping so you have the advantage of knowing if they will choke on this.
    > lot should take about 30 minutes and use about 250# salt.

>make sure you know their expectations, trigger, etc.

9. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

To give you an idea on difference in markets, a 15 minute push here, probably would go for under $ 30/push, well under a $ 1,000 season, I shoot for $ 85-100/hr, with 8.5 Vplow, others bid at $ 50/hr, with straight blades. You need to find out where the pricing is in your market....especially if its a good long term client, be upfront with them, tell them your more than willing to do the work above & beyond, etc. Ask them to get quotes from 2 reputable contractors (give them names), then match that price. My feeling is you are lowball, you won't be happy, if they find out 2 years from now your 3x what other were they'll be pissed & you'll loose the whole deal. It'll also give you an idea of pricing in your market.