1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guess what my 05 cluchfan took a poop

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by raptorman03, Feb 6, 2007.

1. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

i thought 05s were fixed of this problem?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, I've heard of a few 05's with the fan clutch problem's yet. Seem's like the 06's are Ok though........so far!:rolleyes:

3. Whats up with fan clutch? It sounds as though theres an inherint problem. What are symptoms? I may be having problems too...

My '02 acts up occasionally...seems to stay locked up...dont know how to explain...dont even know how they work...but it seems wierd..like its pulling air when it shouldnt be. Mine only seems to happen with the plow up...maybe I'm creating some sorta vacuum, fighting the fan, when driving down the road at speed from air rushing over plow creating negative pressure space in front of radiator....???? Yesterday, i saw/smelled burning rubber from belt maybe? Could be something completely unrelated I suppose...

4. raptorman03

mine just dont pull air hardley at all. I can even stop it with my hand, Thruck overheats when i have the plow on. im taking to the shop today.

5. mon4t

mon4t Junior Member

Hey guys i had the same problem on my chevy 05HD it was overheating with the plow on so the chevy dealership solved the problem by putting a heavy duty clutch fan and assembly and they reprogrammed the computer for the fan to come on more often when the plow is on it fix the problem 100 % the only thing is it makes the engine sound alittle louder then normal and the truck uses alittle more gas than normal.

Mike
    JAX LANDSCAPING AND SNOWPLOWING

6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

The problem is the person on the assembly line who is supposed to change the fan clutch on the preassembled engine prior to installing it into a truck with the VYO option.

7. mon4t

mon4t Junior Member

your right on that being that my truck was equipped with the plow pre package

8. raptorman03

dealer called gotter all done . 1 new fan cluch and im good

9. jlb2500hd

jlb2500hd Member
    from N.Y

Is the fan clutch an actual recall, my warranty is up, if i have the same problem will it be covered or will i have to pay?? how hard is it to replace yourself??

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, if you take the truck in to the dealer he'll check to see if it has the "correct" clutch on it. If it doesn't, they'll change it out under the TSB notice, warranty or not. Some of them like to kick and scream but if you put up a fight, they'll take care of it. If your truck is a non plow prep or it already has the correct clutch then your S.O.L. if it's outta warranty. As far a changing it yourself, it's not hard to do.

11. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

If you have the VYO option and the wrong fan clutch, your dealer my help you out. If they don't, It's an easy job. Upper fan shrould(sp), remove serpentine belt, then unscrew clutch/fan assembly, then 4 bolts to take fan blade off clutch.

12. raptorman03

well a bit after i first got the truck i asked the Dealer if had the updated clutch fan and he said i did. But on the recipt says repace cause of tsb.