1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guess I need a Snow Blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Four Seasons, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

Won a big one today with loads (about an acre worth) of small, tight areas around electric cooling power plant equipment that need to be clear. So something that can handle some volume & commercial use, throw really far, etc will be in order. Ive never looked into blowers so looking for some commercial grade recommendations.

2. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I run the 33" cub cadets and the 36" ariens.Now a combo of the two would be a great blower.The issues I have running these in big storms and ice :
    If you shift the Ariens on the fly there is a chance to pop the "fork" out of the "dog" drive.When this happens the blower is down and must be taken apart.The cub cadet is superior in this area.The "fork" is more or less locked in place and cannot jump out.It also has the finger tip control and can spin on a dime.The ariens needs to be fought to turn once you tried the cub.But the cub has the plastic shut which can be broken off its plastic mount if you are blowing ice chunks through it.Easy to repair but my dealer never has the little flange parts or only has one or two when you need three.So I am stocked up on these now.I also needed to file an extra notch in the in the chute diverter to gain a bit more angle on the throwing of the snow.So if you could combine the metal chute of the ariens and the drive system of the cub you would have a real winner.You may even want to try the 45" cub cadet.You can purchase it at sears so it would be easier to return if it is to hard to use.Feel free to ask any questions. Ed M

3. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

I'm shopping as well after the MN snow event I have zero blowers left. My 32 Ariens was getting repaired during the storm and now my backup Yardboy:realmad: is turded out. Problem is I wont pay the price for a commercial snowblower with a cheap Briggs motor in it. I stopped by one of the dealer and he had ten people in line looking for parts so I imagine everyones crapped out as well.

4. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Im actually about a half hour east of you, right on the MA border.

What about the attachment machines that the rental places have that take snow blowers and rotary brooms and bed edgers and all that stuff? I could use it year 'round.

Are they copetitive with a stand alone snow blower or no?

5. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower

By commercial do mean a large unit to load trucks or a large width single or two stage unit?

Their is a gentleman In Ma., that I know that handles thr BCS line of two wheel tractors
    www.theBCSshop.com

The other option is the owner of www.earthtools.com in Tennesee who also handles teh BCS and Grillo 2 wheel tractors

Both if these businesses are family held sole proprieterships.

The BCS and grillo 2 wheel tractors will work well for this as they are very manueverable with separate hand brakes and easy to maintain. the BCSD units have a quick attachment hitch which allows a very quick change of implements eliminating the need for wrenches and more time.

That can be used the year round with mowers, sweepers, snow blowers etc., and you can buy single stage and two stage blowers that are gear driven.

The BCS 2 wheel tractors are gear driven and have no belts and can be purchased with the Kohler/Lombardini diesels which consume less fuel and provide a much better life span versus gas engines.

If you want something bigger you will want to purchase the either of the two stage small diesel tracked Zaugg or Japanese Fujii tracked snow blowers.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  6. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I think if I were to do it again I would buy the 33" cub cadets and have a couple of the $700 price range Home depot,Walmart,Sears etc as backups.Just be careful of newspapers buried in the snow.If they are in plastic bags YOU WILL be taking the machine apart hence the spare blowers

7. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

I have had an ariens for about 7 years or so now. They last forever. This last year was the first year I had to get any major repairs done to it other than normal maintinence

8. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I have the 36" Ariens Professional blower and I am not impressed with it.I have had it come apart at the drive wheel by accidentally shifting on the fly.Dealer said that will happen if you do that.The MTD type blower is almost impossible foe that to happen.

9. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Do yourself a favor, go on craigslist or ebay and try to find an older toro. a 421, 521, or 826 if you need something bigger. They do not have all of the frills of the newer blowers but they last forever and they require very little maintenance. I have an early 1980's 421 Toro that i bought last year for $25 (the guy thought the engine was siezed) I took the recoil start apart and it was all jammed in there. Fixed that, cleaned the carb, changed the oil and it worked all last year and started up great this year without a problem. Even the electric start works!!

10. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have the 45" Cub Cadet and use it a lot. Probably about 7-8 years old now. Love this little monster! Use the heck out of it and can do so much volume in so little time.

11. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

Depending on how tight(and budget)< MBtrackless, can find pre owned ones fairly cheap,
    My suggestion is a turf teq power broom and a larger Honda. Pretty bulletproof.
    The trackless is nice but may be a little big, but they work awesome.

12. Shade Tree NJ

Shade Tree NJ Senior Member

get a honda model with the tank tracks on it. will go thru almost anything, will last forever with regular maint.

13. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

MT Trackless, little squash rot.

14. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

I havent run a tracked snowblower but they dont make much sense in snowblowing. Remeber its not a snowmobile your pushing, going underneath the snow instead of trying to sit on top. Just not making sense either you'll find alot of reviews for it that explain the tracked flaw.

15. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Those MT trackless are crazy expensive. It must be the fact its primarly a municipal rig:mad:. Used I've seen them in the 20k range. Thats still to high for a beatup sidewalk rig.

16. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

Yeah, they are steep, however I have seen them in July for half of that. They are pretty capable with the right operator, like any equipment.

17. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

From things I've read, tracked machines take a lot of effort to turn (friction) compared to a wheeled model. Steering assist may help this. But I don't think the Honda's have the steering assist features many cheaper blowers do. Also, you can move around a wheeled machine without starting it, but I doubt you can a tracked model.

I can see the track advantage on a maybe rocky ground. The Honda tracked ones have a foot pedal to adjust skim height.