1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guess I don't know how to bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by ponyboy, Oct 1, 2011.

1. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Well I have been to 2 bid opening this year so far. I did not realize you are suspose to lower last year winning bid by 15-20% to win it this year
    I had both of these jobs for several years and last year they bid them out, well I was too high.. Long story short low bid did not make it past 3 storms I got called in to finish ip year, I thought I was goon get it this year with out a bid I was wrong. Another company came in and bid it lower than last years big winner wow
    I'm off to a great year I'm still waiting on my big bid from last month the decision cones in this week
  2. BlackKnight07

BlackKnight07 Member

Yea, Nobody wants to pay, until the Snow starts to fly then they still want you to do it or nothing, If it makes you feel any better, I'm having issues finding a Sub and Residential on my own i think i might have One for Sure and 2 more "Maybe's"

Partly due to the Fact i am a Rookie, but how else are you suppose to learn?

Looks like the Plow will have a lot of Garage time this year :(
  3. Neige

Neige Sponsor

The only advice I can offer, is that when ever someone calls you to come and take over because the lowest bidder dropped the ball. Tell them on one condition they sign you for the balance of the season and next year. You did them a favor and now that they are out of trouble they go out and rebid giving it to the lowest bidder. Clearly they really dont care, so thats why you got to get them when they need you. Good luck on that other bid.
  4. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Well I got my price but I'm schocked that people are going so cheap at some point I would rather sit home and watch tv , I refuse tp lower my price I'm know for quality and I won't sacrifice it for price oh eellike it is still early
  5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

That's a great idea Neige! I had a similar situation last year when I bailed a customer out when joe blow with a truck failed to get it done, I thought I would get this year because I was able to finish the season with no problems, but so far nope! I'm going to tell the next guy to sign for next year or I cant guarantee I'll have time to get to your property. Well unless I really need the work, but I doubt I'll need it that bad, well I hope so anyway.
  6. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

ponyboy: you got it correct with post # 4. That is how I operarte