1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guess how much this damage was estimated to be

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by delonglandscapi, Jan 7, 2011.

1. delonglandscapi

delonglandscapi Junior Member

On the way home from my last customers house i stop at a red light (with all my strobes and warning lights, and hazzards, and reverse lights on) and an old lady says she slips on ice and rear ends me.

I went to get three different quotes for the insurance companys and i want you guys to guess the prices i got.

Things that are damaged:
    -Rear bumper
    -Bumper brackets
    -Tailgate and all fixtures and everything
    -Both Tail lights
    -Hitch and hitch harness (class IV)
    -Full bed was twisted
    -Drivers side fender flare
    -Drivers side cab-back enclosure
    -Drivers side tail light housing
    -Bed rails
    -Vinyl graphics
    -Drivers side mirror(snapped back, i dont really know how it was broken i got whip lash so bad)

Here are some pictures and two pictures of one of the eight city wheel loaders and one of the 13 john deere x790 sidewalk tractors.

2. delonglandscapi

btw, take a look at the john deere's cutting edge. Its a 3/4" municiple snow plow edge for belly plows. They put them on all the john deeres to have them scrape better.
  3. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I'll guess $8,200 plus tax
  4. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Sorry to hear about the accident....some nice pics you got of the jd and loader.

I would say close to 10k in damage...going to need a new bed and bumper off the bat...
  5. delonglandscapi

that a really close guess. 8,900 out the door
  6. Deerewashed

Deerewashed Senior Member

find a nice flatbed, visibility= plowing king! Put the rest into f450 savings
  7. delonglandscapi

i dont think i want a flat bed on a 1/2 ton 6ft bed. But its a good idea. I use my bed to much for misc supplies and grass clippings and everything else.

How do i get my insurance company to pay me directly, and not a check with both my name and the people who are fixing it?

I would really like to get a new bed installed and do everything myself. Because the bed alone costs 4k at the dealer. I could definitly do everything else myself if they installed that for me.
  8. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Just look around and find a bed and do it youself....You'll save thousands! You can put that toward paying for the truck or new equipment.

Tell them you cant be without your truck during plow season and that you will fix it later. My ins has always just written a check to me only.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  9. delonglandscapi

thats a great idea. So do i send them the estimate i got for 8900 dollars? I know i can find a new bed and everything for under 4k
  10. EvenCutLawnCare

Her insurance will send out their own adjuster to look at it. They don't take estimates usually unless its from their certified shops. Call around to some upfitters that sell utility beds and stuff to see if they a bed or know a customer that has one they took off.
  11. delonglandscapi

oh okay. My insurance guy told me to take it to a shop, and see if its over 3500 in damage, if so they will have an adjuster come out to look at it. If its under 3500 he told me to go ahead with it no matter what, have them order the parts they need and get under way quickly. then they will send me a check with my name and the shops name to pay for it when it is completed. They overnight their checks to make sure landscape crews have zero down time
  12. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

sorry about the truck, but the tractors look good!
  13. delonglandscapi

thanks and i love watching the city do their work. That tractor is the same trator we have up north just for mowing and taking things down to the beach in the pull cart. Its a fancy little machine with a lot of capability.

I want to get the 3520 john deere for next season. I would not have to rent any bobcat or dingo or anything which i had to do for about 3 weeks straight this year.

That and a dump trailer.
  14. EvenCutLawnCare

Whos insurance is paying? It should be hers right????
  15. gravelyguy

gravelyguy Member
    from Indiana

If you own the truck(paid off). The insurance company will write the check to you if you ask for it to be done that way. Once insurance finds out you plan to pocket the money they will try to work you down on the figure big time. Be prepared for that.

The adjuster will try to act like he's doing you a favor by dealing with the body shop. They will shaft you if you let them.
  16. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

first i would 5 high estimates and turn them over to the insurance company and even find out who their "qualified shops" are and take the truck there yourself as joe blow off the street and tell them you need the highest estimate they can give you.... then when the insurance company says something you can say well these est came from your qualified shops..... then get them to give you the check and then find a bed off a front end wrecked truck.... you can find one if you look long enough.... and fix it all yourself really cheap and invest your savings elsewhere..... good luck brother, it can be done!!!

and dont let them tear you down on the money either, because technically you can always be asking for injuries and lost wages... ins adj are a$$e$$ and are paid to work you down.... stand your ground and play for all you can get from them, after all their client hit you. work it for all its worth, especially in this economy....
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  17. Pushinsnow

Pushinsnow Junior Member

I would send the truck and check to a body shop and let them deal with everything. If the truck needs more repairs that wern't visible (bent frame), then the adjuster will come down. If you do it yourself, you might run into problems because your not a repair facility.
  18. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

13 grand worth of work is my guess.
  19. gravelyguy

gravelyguy Member
    from Indiana

With the way that your hitch is bent, you had better look over your frame closely.
  20. delonglandscapi

i agree with you guys on all aspects. I want to do it myself to save a bundle of money, but i honestly think a lot more is wrong than what these estimates are saying. The right side of the frame i think is bent, also the cab was dented pretty bad where you barely can see. I think what i am going to do is have th adjuster come and take a look and go over all the points that the two quotes i got were , and then see what he says, i know if i wanted to do it all myself and buy all the parts right from the dealer. the OEM parts would cost around 5k.

I found that if i got a cheap bed, and bought everything from a wholesale part supplier online(ebay, rockauto, and places like that ) i could get all the parts without the bed for around 1000 and it would take a long night to install everything.