1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guard Dogs or Wardens??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by M & MD Lawn, Oct 30, 2011.

1. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

I am a little low on funds this season and new bfg's are NOT in the budget. Its my first year plowing and the tires I have on the truck are not gonna cut it especially as a first year. My question is, which treadright? I am looking at the guard dogs or wardens. As of now I am planning to just run them in the winter and come spring/summer I will get a set of michelins LTX2 and put on my other set of rims for summer as i do ALOT of driving.

It looks like the guard dogs will grip well but im not sure if they will have alot of road noise vs. the wardens are like the BFG's which I have had before.

I plan to get the Kedge grip on either one i buy, just looking for some input and if anyone has opinions on either

Thanks,
    Paul

2. larboc

larboc Member

The guard dogs (MTR copy) look sweeter and will dig well. The wardens (bfg a/t) copy will get better traction on snow and snow pack and still have the ability to stay on top. There isn't as much rubber in the mtr so don't expect it to last as long.
    In my experience the bfg tread will pack snow into it in certain situations and gives you a snow on snow pack that really hooks up well. You can also air them down and drive on several feet thick snow where as the mtr's tend to dig too quickly like most mud terrain-hight void tires will.

I don't have any experience plowing with either, but this winter I'm probably going to have to invest in something for the plow truck as my dominators are getting down on tread.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you looking at the same tires, but something you might consider as am I is a set of firestones. The local HD truck shop will instal, mount and balance 265/75/16 winterforces for $115 for a load c and $161 for a load e. I'm considering doing this and putting them on spare rims. NO question of the WF's snow capibilty. Just take them off in the summer.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

be prepared for a heavy balence job on those tires and possible ride vibrations.

most retreads or remolds have this problem.

and how old was the tire casing used ? and how many repairs made to it before reused ?

also the biggest problem i have seen is lots of places dont send matched casings. the same tire brand/model for a set of tires to you. no 2 tires are the same in hight from mixed brands and models. and also the sidewalls on some are stiffer than others.

so you might get 4 diffrent casings and same tread on all 4 but the way the truck handles and rides could be total junk.

i am NOT saying there stuff is bad or junk. just be informed and pic correctly. Thumbs Up

4. larboc

larboc Member

You can request matching casings.

5. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

i hope to get a set for my ram 2500. but talk to primoSR he has a set of the guard dogs on his 2500HD. and from what i have read he loves them. you can look up the thread in the pictures section.

6. M & MD Lawn

I think I am going to go with the Wardens as Larboc does have a good point that i hadn't thought about between M/T and A/T. I am going to request matching casings as well, I read that during my research of the tires. They are going to only be a winter set, come spring I will get another set when the funds are better... while Im at it what do you guys run for summer tires??

7. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

If you do a little research, you will find that people have had great results with balancing these tires. They also match casings. Some say that they balance better than new tires. I don't have any experience, just going by what I have heard. These aren't your typical tractor/trailer retreads. I am considering a set for my summer wheels.

kevlars

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

For snow, I would be getting the Sentinel or Wardens with Kedge. Not the Guard Dogs.

9. sweetk30

my info was in general . and i have 10+ years in the tire mounting buissness . also first hand with remold tires as we have a company here local and deal with them.

basicly its info i gave to help others make a informed choice and get the best deal on the product thay are looking at.

10. M & MD Lawn

I have another question.....When buying retreads, in order to get them mounted and balanced do you have to take them to a certified retreader so they can do this or can you go to your local Tirebarn or Discount Tire... I think the closest retreader for me is a good year dealer...

thanks guys!

11. sweetk30

thay are treated the same as any tire basicly.

call few places first tho. lots of shops charge more these days if you bring your own tires in as thay dont make any money on the sale thay didnt get so some have started charging more.

12. larboc

larboc Member

Just mount them yourself and take them in for balancing.

13. M & MD Lawn

Dont have access to the correct tools and I have seen the ratchet strap method but with a 265, its not easy and the main reason is I don't know how to do it

14. kandrts

kandrts Junior Member

I put the wardens on my chevy 2 years ago and they still have tons of tread left and haven't had any issues with them at all. They also took very little weight to balance as well. I had a couple other guys at work buy them and the guard dogs and some places won't mount and balance retreads. I highly sugguest Treadwright tires